GO!

"he's a service dog"...

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:47pm PST 
oops double post

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 5:48pm PST

[notify]
Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:16pm PST 
Guest, I have very specific times I have my SD working at home, the rest they are off duty. One of those times is when guests are over, friends who I'm more comfortable with will get to see my dogs off duty more. I was referring to how this girl picked Mario up, as it was very intimidating especially to a SMALL dog. I was not making a generalized statement about small dog temperaments, but anyone that has experience with small/toy dog behavior knows that they are much more likely to be nervous about big people bending over them, holding them tightly, etc, and a perfectly normal dog reaction to show submissive behavior is to pee, or even snap/bite if frightened. Mario does not do that, he wouldn't be a service dog if he did. Don't accuse me of giving small breeds a bad reputation when you don't even bother to inform yourself before making assumptions.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 1:16am PST 
I used to work at Kohl's and once a lady came in with an SDIT. Out of curiosity I asked if it was her dog or a dog she was actually training for someone else.

She volunteers for a group that rescues retired/injured Greyhounds and trained them to become SDs for stroke victims. It was a very educational conversation for me and I told her how much I appreciated her talking to me about it.

My aunt has a service dog to help when her MS gets bad. Yet if you caught her on a good day with her dog, people automatically assumed she was faking it.
[notify]

Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 3:13pm PST 
Recently the guy who owns the house my family has been living in got mad because Tank had escaped the yard and had been brought in the house and put in his crate while we worked on the fence. He was griping saying that since Tank is over 50 lbs he doesnt need to be inside because he is too big to be inside. I looked at him and said very calmly "He is a Service Dog in Training and having him inside makes it easier to train him." He looked at me and said "Yeah right Service Dog in Training my a$$. He is not smart enough to be a Service Dog in Training!!" I tried to explain things to him but I finally gave up because he didnt want to listen. This guy is one of those who believes that all women are B*tches and so there fore are not worth listening to. This guy has two very ill behaved small dogs who destroyed our brand new couch and loveseat also he hasnt been around for the last 10 months so how would he know how damned bad my hubby's disabilities have gotten since then.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:00pm PST 
confused Tank, Tank, Tank.....How many times will your owner post a different version of your story and hers????????????
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:46pm PST 
I registered for this a couple of years ago when i did have a service dog from a training school.
However, he hAd to be retired as i had quite a few serious falls when he went after other dogs et
I am now getting a goldendoodle and will train him myself. I love dogs but have afes questions to you that
trained your own service dogs. When the dogs were still puppies did you use avest on him/her "in training"?
Ive been trying to find a site that will certify your team and no luck. I want to
Totally prepare myself withwhatever question comes upand
Am so thankful for this site.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:46pm PST 
I registered for this a couple of years ago when i did have a service dog from a training school.
However, he hAd to be retired as i had quite a few serious falls when he went after other dogs et
I am now getting a goldendoodle and will train him myself. I love dogs but have afes questions to you that
trained your own service dogs. When the dogs were still puppies did you use avest on him/her "in training"?
Ive been trying to find a site that will certify your team and no luck. I want to
Totally prepare myself withwhatever question comes upand
Am so thankful for this site.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:06am PST 
I think my last (double- sorry!) post might have been unclear as to exactly what my question is. I live in Canada and when i had a Service dog, i didnt have trouble getting him into places and as you all said people want to pet your dog. I always felt responsible for being a public relations person for Service dogs and now thinking back, i let people pet him but they always asked first. Not being firm enough myself, i guess my Service dog got mixed signals.

As I now go into training my puppy, what did those of you who trained your own Service dog do, like can you bring them to a Farmer's market etc with a vest saying "Service dog In Training". Or later, in teaching them how to behave on a bus? (I do not drive because of balance, vision and hearing problems and an ataxic right side due to brain tumor removals).

And at the end of training your dog, how do you get certified? Or do you really need to? I read here in canada that you have to go through the ADI if you train them yourself which would mean actually going there?. Or that Top Dog, if you go there with your dog, can? Please let me know what I can do and thanks so much for any response.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:02pm PST 
Yeah it is a lil annoying to have to argue with someone who dose not work with a SD to tell you the Yeah and nays of the working quick pro quo's of the life styls of SD working. I have had to do that many times with family and friends over the years. Getting a bit tyered of doing it too. It is also frustrating that the first thing people say is "OOh so you have a therapy dog?" And I am like "No, She is a SD." Most people just want to argue with me. I have found I don't have the desire to deal with these people.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3