GO!

Feeling awkward with my service dog?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 7:25pm PST 
I posted way back on this and I feel you can train for just about anything but as a few said you pray for an alert that comes instincually. I meant a license tag is giving free for a dog whom witch you reg. at your town off. But it is not to tell all that you have a SD working for you. It is so if you happen to loose the dog the the person who finds it can return it to you.
As I said I am sure we all have our awkward moments.
[notify]
Rosie

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 5:31pm PST 
Hey there! Im 23 and trained my service dog a year ago to help me. I have Crohns Disease, which is also invisible, except for my ileostomy under my shirt. I can totally relate, at first it was weird for me, but my life has been great with her by my side, despite what uneducated people think of me with my dog in public. Right now I am living in Boca Raton, Florida. Unfortunately, faking service dogs has become a trend here, bringing their "purse" dogs anywhere they go. One time I saw this lady at a restaurant feeding her so called "service dog" spaghetti on her lap!!! Because I have been harassed and accused by ignorant people who are uneducated and pre judge us because we are not the classic blind or handicapped disabled I carry in my purse a copy of the ADA overview on service dogs and one on Florida's regulation on service dogs in training.
It sucks that people are like this, and makes it harder for people with real service dogs to be normal and comfortable in public. But regardless, I am so happy my girl is my service dog now. i am getting surgery this Wednesday and Rosie is going to be by my side the whole time and wouldnt want it any other way! And having her opened up a whole new window for me, I now train service dogs myself! I work with Canines 4 Hope in Palm City, and love every minute of it! well except cleaning poop in the kennels lol.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '14 8:26am PST 
Ive become a lil less active int he SD field I still work sadie to keep her responsive. I think people are intimdated with her breed. I have workers who wont work with me because of her.
I have to have the workers but I hope some day I will get a worker that can work with me and sadie. When I first started going in to places though I did feel a lil self conchess about it and a lot of people looked at me. Sometimes when I was ok about it I did let people pet her but I also told them that they should never just take it for granted that they could do that with other SD's Sadie stated having issues so I stopped letting people pet her. It was not cause I was letting them pet her it was cause I found out one of my walkers were using her to be a protecting and fighting dog. I was able to work it out cause I caught it in time. I fired them form working with her.(being a walker) She is doing very well now and I am more careful who walks her now. She could have been ruined and I could not afford that.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 12:17am PST 
Thank you for sharing information regarding the service dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3