GO!

Large breed for SD work

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:00pm PST 
I am looking at different breeds for service dog work and am just feeling lost. These are the breeds that are large enough and I am comfortable with, but they all have issues.

XL APTB: Rather obvious. Public perception of these guys is less than great.

German Shepherd: Too anxious and vocal for me.

Rottweiler: Tends to be aggressive with same sex dogs.

What other breeds can you think of? I really would love a well bred APBT which I have found, but I am really worried about access challenges and people running and screaming ect.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:55pm PST 
well bred APBTs are about 40-60 pounds though, I wouldn't consider them large breed.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:20pm PST 
They breed XL ones for weight pulling and whatnot. They have all their health testing and all that, they are just large. I know somebody that has one as her SDIT.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:30pm PST 
weight pull classes are by percentage of weight.. so why would they be breeding larger ones for that? just curious.. maybe Scooter will post, though and maybe correct me.. she knows a lot about APBTs and has an SD.

Edited by author Thu Oct 4, '12 8:37pm PST

[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:36pm PST 
I don't know. They have dogs that do weight pulling, some are in protection work, and some that are doing work like SD and whatnot.

I think they are just breeding them because they like the look and size better than the standard APBTs. They are much more proportional looking. I just like the look and temperament of his dogs.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 9:42pm PST 
First off a comment that shepherds Shouldn't be anxious, and noisy is more of a training issue than a breed issue. A well bred shepherd should be anything But anxious... but that's beside the point

That said it depends on your height and weight on what you'd need if you're doing mobility work. The rule of thumb is 40% of your height, and 50% of your weight if you're doing mobility work. If that isn't an issue, Labs, Goldens, Standard Poodles. Over that size there are Danes... and a few other breeds to consider.

A lot depends on what you need other than just large dog for service work.. because there are a lot of large breed dogs but not all are suitable for every person for service work.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:08am PST 
Second Happy's point... GSDs should be neither noisy nor anxious. You expect/want calm and confident. There are plenty of poorly bred shepherd out there; but, there are bunches of solid ones as well.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:24am PST 
I am doing counter balance so I will need a dog that about 90 lbs.

I have never met a shepherd that isn't whiny or vocal. I have been to shutzhund events, worked with police dogs, and met other program sheperds. They all were whiny. It would just drive me nuts.

If I could find a shepherd that isnt too whiny I would totally get one. If it is training I am confused, most of the ones I have met are very well trained. They just had a lot to say I guess.
[notify]
Dora CGC

Wag your tail- and the world- wags back

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 10:19am PST 
Well here is one of the dogs at the top of my list.
Bouviers. Here is why
1- they are not quite a giant breed but larger then most large breeds. 75-125 lbs I believe. I would need a dog about this size.
2-They were bred to work, cart pulling, herding and I have seen them do freestyle dance and agility.
3-They are built like a bus, I like thier stockiness
4- fairly easy to maintain coat, infact feels kind of like Dora's
5-Has that Norwich look but waaaayyy bigger, not tail to step on and upright ears.
6- very devoted and docile-I know several who have been therapy dogs.

With that said I have heard they can b quardy although the ones I have known and cared for were seathearts and loved everyone. Both were from good breeders and well socialized.

Others on my list but would not be as much for mobility are Standard Poodle, Golden retriever, possibly greyhound.

i would get a larger breed next time to help more with physical stuff.
Although 10 lb Dora is able to help undress me. She will even drag over my shoes and get them up to me. She saves me a lot of bending over but larger would be better for next time.

Another breed I love but would not be large enough for me for balancing is a Dobie. I was a vet tech and worked at shelters for over 20 years so I have been around a lot of breeds. I think there are many out there that will work, just depends on where you get them and what you need them for.
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 12:07pm PST 
Have you looked into Newfies?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4