GO!

Reusing SDiT gear until new can be bought.?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 1:54pm PST 
As you know my hubby and I are training his new SD a Labrador/ German Shepherd mix pup named Tank. We still have the gear we bought when we trained Buddy who was his first SD. Its been through Buddy and Katana and I am wondering if it would be alright for us to use it for Tank until we can purchase his backpacks and new patches. I used a lint roller to clean all the cat hair and dust off the vest a few days after Katana died and sat down on the arm of the couch and cried for half an hour because there were still pieces of Katana's hair imbedded in the seams of the vest. Tank looks pretty good in blue but its kinda hard to see Tank wearing the same vest that Katana wore so proudly.
[notify]
SIR AILBE,- Service Dog

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 12:13am PST 
Ailbe is wearing Shadow's red vest that he used till he got his certification & vest from The Foundation For Service Dog Support (FSDS). He looks awesome in it with his creamy,white coat. Even thou Ailbe is bigger then Shadow (27 inches & close to 60 lbs) he can wear a medium vest. I just have the one patch -- Service Dog In Training on it. I just bought the traffic lead leash from Bold Design along with two patches -- Service Dog In Training & Do Not Pet that velcro together w/ the leash in the center. That leash has been awesome to use. I have less to hold on and Ailbe stays closer because I'm not worrying about the excess leash. I keep another leash in my bag and when we have to sit down I put that one on because the other is to short.

Ailbe and Shadow Walker
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 11:29am PST 
The main reason we were going to get the backpacks for Tank is so that he can carry some of the stuff that my hubby needs for classes such as extra pencils and pens his calculator and a bottle of Gatorade or soda as well as his own bottle of water and portable bowl and pick up bags. The vest we have is blue and looks great against his black fur and I hate the thought of it just laying around rotting down when it still has A LOT of use left in it. Its just hard for me to see the vest in use on a different dog so soon after Katana's death.
[notify]

Bretta - **Guardian- Angel Now**

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 2:34pm PST 
Just a reminder, but a puppy (
[notify]
Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 7:45pm PST 
I think what Bretta might be saying is that a puppy should not be carring things like water bottles, soda, or gatorade until they are full grown at about 18 months to 2 years. Puppies should not carry any extra weight for that matter. The backpack with the added weight can put pressure on joints and that is dangerous to do on a dog that is still growing.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 5:45am PST 
Let me add that Tank wont be going to classes until next fall. He is HUGE at 8 months old and he is still growing. I've had a set of homemade backpacks on him once and they didnt bother him at all. They were empty and pretty bulky but he wore them pretty well. He is doing really well with his training and loves to work. I will not be asking him to carry anything heavy at all. Its just hard to see him using Katana's vest so soon after Katana died. Katana has been gone just over a month and its hard to even see his leash and working collar hanging on the wall and harder to think of putting it away.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 7:12am PST 
With puppies it isn't an issue of size that you're considering. Much like with riding horses you want to wait until a puppies growth plates close before putting any weight on them. That doesn't happen until 16-24 months or more in a large breed dog. Adding weight before then can cause issues later on from arthritis to other more serious joint problems that can cut short a working dog's life.

As for gear, if I ever get a chance I'll likely reuse gear but I haven't had any of my service dog's be similar sizes before so it hasn't been an option.. There are also groups on facebook if you'd be interested in trading the vest for a different one with less memories attached but still want to know that it's out there being used and getting good use.
[notify]
Bretta - **Guardian- Angel Now**

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 11:17am PST 
Yep, don't know what happened there.

I don't care how HUGE he is, he's still a puppy with growing joints. Keeping the pack perfectly weighted, especially when it comes to water/gatorade) is impossible. Nowhere in your previous post did you mention waiting, hence the warning. You've also previously mentioned (against others' advice) your intent that he spend some time in class and on campus this school year.

Yes, people re-use gear ALL THE TIME provided it is in appropriate condition and fits the animal.
[notify]