GO!

Advice on working w/o gear

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 3:26pm PST 
Harley had a lipoma removed from his chest yesterday. He's fine and cleared to work as of Saturday. But, bc of the location of it, he can not wear his harness until his stitches come out, in two weeks. I do not have a leash slide (will probably order one for the future), and have never been able to get a bandana to stay on him, not that I have any extra patches anyway.

So, for these two weeks, we will be working nekid. This is something we have never done, and I will have to take some extra precautions for my mobility needs. Does anyone have any advice for handling the public/gate keepers while working w/o gear. We are pretty well known here, so I'm not so sure I will have a problem, but you never know...
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 3:56pm PST 
Can you put a patch or similar on his leash? Or maybe a t-shirt with a patch? Ok I know the tee is kinda hokie, but it shouldn't rub his owie. As for naked dogs & gatekeepers, I have an ADA card with the questions on it & the DOJ contact info. The card also states that businesses cannot require special identification. Something like that might help with the obstinate gatekeepers.
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:44am PST 
I wrote a FB post about this, I found less access issues working unvested and Voltaire also sometimes wears a SD collar. Here it is for ref:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/star-utter/working-your-servi ce-dog-naked/10150923912444380
[notify]

Sam

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 8:12am PST 
Have you ever tried the bandana's that the collar goes thru? (how wide is his collar?
JJ wave
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:36pm PST 
I would get a clip on ID instead of a patch that way you can clip it to his collar or leash or somewhere visible. Otherwise just hope you get through it with little issues. Two weeks is not too long. smile
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 6:07pm PST 
There goes Sam...pretending to be someone I do not know. You had me fooled there! Honestly, if anyone needs a custom mobility harness, do not walk, run...to her! Harley's most awesome blue harnesses (2 of them, one for winter, one for summer) were made by hand for her and we LOVE them!

Anyway...We had our first working outing to Wal Mart yesterday. Not a single problem. The door greeter asked if he was a service dog and on we went. We had many complements and ran into a teacher that I taught with my last year (for the first time since I stopped), but it was fine. I do have a leash sleeve coming, just to have it....and I said I wasn't gonna be a gear collector...ha!
[notify]
Onyx, SD

Legitimate- Mobility Dog

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:00pm PST 
I hate working Onyx nekkid. Hate, hate, hate.

I don't usually choose to work him nekkid, but more than once I've gone out expecting only to go to pet friendly places, off duty, and then realize I need to stop somewhere else and didn't have a vest. It never ends well. confused

I "borrowed" the idea behind this Badge Holder from Active Dogs and made one similar and put a regular service dog/do not pet patch on it. I also fixed the velcro so that it stays up on the back of the collar, to make it more visible. I keep it in my glove box, so that I always have it with me and can pull it out if I'm vestless for any reason.

"Honestly, if anyone needs a custom mobility harness, do not walk, run...to [Sam]!"

Absolutely, positively agree!
[notify]
Reboot - Retired SD

Retired and- livin' it up!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 3:15pm PST 
I've worked without my dog in gear a couple times; like Onyx, it wasn't on purpose, just an "Oh, crumbs, I thought we were just going to the pet store today," and then we needed to run into someplace. I think it's all in the behavior - if your dog acts like a SD, it goes a long way toward your credibility.

And I'm seconding the mobility harness recommendation! My Newfoundland SDIT had one from her (we still do have it though it won't fit any of my future SDs) and I am completely in love.

Edited because I can't spell...

Edited by author Wed Sep 26, '12 3:15pm PST

[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 8:55pm PST 
My leash sleeve came, so we won't be completely unmarked anymore. I just can't wait until next week when the stitches come out and we will be back to normal.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 11:17am PST 
LOL, thanks you three!! hail
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2