GO!

How tall should a mobility dog be?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 12:35pm PST 
I know, I'm a mess. I should live in a plastic bubble wrapped in bubble wrap! I was thinking of training Tia for light mobility work, for when she is older & done growing of course. I have back issues, severe enough to limit my mobility on some days. I also get vertigo (I really hate that!) I've started teaching her to open & close doors, pick stuff up (she's such a wild child right now that it's 50/50 if she'll perform the task). She'll help me up the stairs right now by grabbing the leash & tugging me up (we limit this activity). But how tall should she be for counter balance work & such? I think she was around 22" last time I measured her a month or so back & she's grown since then. Too bad I can't just take my horse everywhere lol.

Edit: when I say she helps me up the stairs, she's not physically pulling me up the stairs. I know better than to have her do that. I use the handrail & she'll tug the leash. I let her play at pulling me up, but there is no pressure.

Edited by author Mon Sep 17, '12 5:29pm PST

[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 2:57pm PST 
This solely depends on the height of the handler and weight of the dog. If the dog will be doing weight work like bracing etc they need to be a certain height based on hot tall their handler is. If the dog will be doing counterbalance and momentum work, they should be a certain weight depending on the amount of force they would need to exude in order to help.

It's also highly recommended that mobility dogs are over 2 years old and pass hip and elbow clearances. It's detrimental to their health if they are dysplastic or luxating. It's highly irresponsible to harm an animal while working just because their hip and elbow health is unknown.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 3:03pm PST 
I'm 5'6 & Tia should end up between 55-60lbs (she's 40 lbs.now ).

I wouldn't ask for any mobility work until she's at least two & has clearance from the vet. I was just looking at a future possibility. It'd be nice if my body decides to cooperate & its not needed.
[notify]

Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 4:15pm PST 
You'll need to get X-ray and them and send them off to the professionals at OFA for a rating. Most non orthopedic vets won't be able to tell you much from looking at the X-rays
[notify]
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 4:20am PST 
How tall your dog needs to be depends on what type of mobility task you need. Counter balance and balast work requires a lot less ratio than balance work. Dogs with a history of pulling and carting might have a better physical ability to do these tasks even if they have a leaner ratio.
Typically though, whatever height is comfortable for you when you put your hand onto your dog's back. I like where she is just short enough I can grab her short handle on the back of her vest.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 2:21pm PST 
How large are you? I'm not only talking height but weight.

I've seen some pretty hefty people using SDs for mobility work.shrug
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 4:08pm PST 
I could stand to lose.a pound...or.twenty. But I'm not humongous
[notify]
SIR AILBE,- Service Dog

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:03am PST 
I'm hefty and my current service dog is only 55 Lbs/24 inches tall and does light mobility balance work. When you're larger and have a smaller dog you have to learn to do things differently. When getting up from a chair you have to put the weight on the chair or a table and lean into them and not the dog. If I fall I really can't get up with a dog. I have to rely scooting to something solid to grab hold and then get me up to a standing position.

Our trainer gave us some great tips on having a mobility dog and how to do part of the work. Harness work for me is just for helping me walk and if I get unsteady Shadow just stops and lets me have time to wait before walking on.

Ailbe now is almost a year old, 60 lbs and 27 inches tall. He still has more growing to do in the next year. His body is larger boned and very muscular then Shadow. He'll beging harness training at age 2..

Ailbe and Shadow Walker
[notify]
Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 11:39am PST 
Of course retrieval of items and opening /closing doors really does not depends on a certain weight height limit. Just willingness and ability.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 2:23pm PST 
Unfortunately, Scruffy, we are talking about "mobility" here, where size - of both the dog and the handler - are very important for the well being of both.shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2