GO!

Freedom Design Harness/Vest- Modification

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Stella

Barked: Sun May 8, '11 2:01pm PST 
Since my Freedom Design harness came in the mail, I've been wondering why it doesn't have any edging. As much as I love the design (perfect handle height for me, right amount of room in the pouch, etc) it just didn't look like it was finished to me.

Today, I went and purchased nylon webbing and had someone finish the edges for me. I personally think it makes a HUGE difference -more of a cosmetic thing, but for me it was worth it. I usually want to keep things as is and not modify orignal designs. I guess this was an exception.

It is quite possible that I recieved one of the poorly sewn harnesses. The harness seems to me that is sewn ok, but the inside of the pouch is far from a professional job. I guess I didn't give the pouch a good inspection upon recieving it. One of the seams isn't totally finished-so there is a small hole. BIG SIGH. I'm debating whether or not I should bother calling Freedom Design and asking them if they would replace it. By the time I shipped it out and they shipped it back- more money would go into the exchange than probably the whole lil' pouch is worth. However, the fabric was cut so close- that I'm not even sure I could have it fixed.

I did order a 2nd set of equipment from them. Here is for hoping he will just send a new pouch w/ my other order. haha I know..I am dreaming!
[notify]
Sky SDIT

Love yto please

Barked: Sun May 8, '11 4:36pm PST 
This harness is one that my mom uses for her fully trained dog. It is like freedom design but better uality fast shipping and these pouches fit freedom design pretty well.
Here is the link for the harness:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?emvcc=0&emvAD=320x 416&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=00131024937&itemId=250810784693

Here is the link for the pouch:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=25081080017 5&index=17&nav=SEARCH&nid=99667506474
[notify]
Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Sun May 8, '11 4:40pm PST 
I am sure your modifications look really nice. If the whole is in a way that you could put a patch on it that might help. Cut some fabric to go underneath and sandwich the hole though. There is something called Fray Check you can get if it is just a matter of needing it to not unravel. My hopes are that the next order might be better.
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 6:55pm PST 
Do you have any pictures of it?
[notify]
Makaveli PSDIT

I Can Has Lovin'- Nao?

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 6:10pm PST 
Yes, pictures might help us understand. I just got my harness delievered today as well. I did not notice anything wrong other than the sheepskin is already falling off...but that is to be expected, I had heard people complain of that already. I also need to add an extra peice of velcro so that the pouch is more stable and doesn't fall off. But so far so good...
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 11:51pm PST 
My camera on my phone isn't cooperating with me at this moment. I will try to post a link to pictures ASAP. I will have to take out my regular camera and upload photos.

Ok, so Fred (the husband owner) called me yesterday to tell me he recieved the money for my 2nd set of equipment. He said it would be a few days before he was able to ship it out because he just finished putting his wife in the hospital. He also told me I owed him $1 because the shipping is $10.20 and I only gave him $10 for shipping. So with two sets of equipment the shipping comes to $20.40. I paid $20 for shipping. Somehow $0.40 = $1. Not that I really care, as he has been very nice to me, but he did call me to tell me I owed him $1. He said he will lay it out for me and send the 2nd set of equipment out as soon as he is able to.

When I got off the phone, I was kinda baffled. I guess he forgot he sent me a pouch with an unfinished seam- so it has a hole in it. I am positive it will take me more than $1 in gas alone to take the pouch to a place where it can be fixed, but I still owe him a dollar.
I thought that was kinda funny, as I'm sure my nana (such a wonderful lady!!) but if she was running a business -she would probably also call a customer to ask for the $1. lol. so... I suppose I better send Fred a dollar.
[notify]
Becker, CGC,- LEK-SD

Where will we go- today?

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 1:33am PST 
I agree that if they had put the edging on it would look a lot nicer. I constantly have to take a lighter to the edges of the straps and the inside of the pouch from it fraying. I also added more sheepskin to the other straps. However, it still rubs on Becker the wrong way. I am about to buy an actual sheep skin from Ikea and put some real sheep skin on it. Maybe that will help. I wish I was more handy with a sewing machine, I would change several things about the harness. I just wish more harnesses out there had the handle over the shoulders instead of behind them. That is what I like most about the design. It is really a shame that they won't sell the business or something. It is a good design but needs a few changes to make it really good. Certainly not worth the money they charge though!
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 8:35am PST 
The lady that I had add the edging for me, she said that a lot of sewing goes into the Freedom Design Harness. She said they are probably paying someone $20-$25 to do the actual sewing per harness. The person that does the sewing must have one of those industrial type sewing machines.

I've priced hardware and cordura (fabric used for this vest) for two completely separate projects before. They have a couple of dollars in cordura in each harness. One yard is between 8 and 12 dollars. If you buy in bulk -much closer to $8 or even less. One yard probably makes 5 harnesses. The strapping with velcro is harder to figure out, but it is 1 ply nylon webbing (cheapest) and you can get rolls of the webbing for very cheap. I would be suprised if they had more than $3-4 dollars invested in straps. I don't have a clue what fake sheep skin costs, but I can't imagine they a lot for that (definatly under a dollar for that small strip.)The hardware is probably where they have the most money invested. I am not sure if they are using stainless steel- I really doubt it. The hardware can be purchased in bulk from distributors and pay almost nothing for all of that hardware. The only piece of hardware that maybe a little pricey are those clips on the handle. I'm going to estimate they have $4 dollars in hardware and an additonal $2 for the clips. One thing I don't know the pricing of is velcro, but the velcro they are using is a very cheap quality. I'm going to just take a guess and say they have $3-$4 in velcro.

So for 1 harness:
$20 person to sew
$2 for colored cordura fabric
$4 straps
$0.50 sheep skin (high estimate..lol)
$6 total for hardware
$4 velcro

(did I leave any components out?)

$36.50
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 10:01am PST 
I doubt the velcro is that much, I think you can buy it in bulk really cheap.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 11:12am PST 
Ya they could probably get the velcro and all the strapping for a total of $3 (just a guess), but I'm assuming they aren't great with the computer and finding the best prices.

Who knows? Maybe they are really getting the stuff cheap to make a maximum profit. Sounds to me like they are into profit part- I am the one that needs to send $1 for an additional $.40 in shipping.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3