GO!

Training Log for your Service Dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Brycone

Mom's Left Hand- Man - I'm ready are- you?

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 7:44pm PST 
Ok everybody with a Service Dog, so we are keeping training logs, right?

'Fess up' How good are you at keeping up your SD's log? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? When you remember?

What do you put in it, how do you keep track of where you were, where you are and where you want to be? How do you document your goals and how/when you've achieved them?

Journaling? Something more formal? Something you need to start? red face frown confused smile dog

I think this has the potential for a really great thread...thanks for reading and posting your personal style of documentation. I look forward to hearing from you. Blessings

Edited by author Wed Oct 20, '10 7:47pm PST

[notify]
Bailey- (SDIT)

Born to serve

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 8:27pm PST 
OK, so maybe it's because I don't see Bailey every day, but I blog every day I see him. I just recount what I did that day and how Bailey did. I'm sure when he lives with me I won't blog every day just because he'll be pat of my daily routine.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 9:56pm PST 
You want the truth don't you? lol OK no funning I am really lousy at it I try but I am not a consistant person.
I cant even keep up with my diabieties account why would I do this any better?
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 10:15pm PST 
OOOh and really need a friend like you BRYONE, Cause I am not sure if training in maine a lone and on my own is going to be easy for me.
[notify]
John

Sqeuaky?

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 11:01pm PST 
A tool is only an effective tool if you like using it. I don't use logs for John. If someone were to ask me to come up with a log for a certain number of training hours I could do it easily because our routine is similar from week to week.

I will however on occasionally brainstorm on paper certain problems and solutions or ideas for new tasks.
[notify]
Bojangles

Bo - My Hero

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 2:40am PST 
I've never kept a log either. To me every minute of the day spent with my dog is training in progress, and that started from the time he was a wee pup. If I were ever questionned I can show his certificates of completion for three obedience classes, a 24-hour, 7 day bootcamp with a certified trainer (min. of 8 hours each day in training) and 15-months of training at my side every day....I think that completes the suggested 120 hours. He still goes for a class every few weeks for new skills to work on while at home....it's just a work in progress. I think every dog continues to train throughout it's lifetime.
[notify]
Brycone

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 5:05am PST 
Some reasons for keeping a training log:
1. Goals. What is it you want to train your dog to do? What is it you expect from a fully trained dog? Where do you expect your training will end up? (true training may never fully stop, but when can you say your dog is a full SD?)

Steps in the process of reaching your goal. You will probably need many small steps to reach even moderate goals, many more for a larger one. How will you know when you have reached small steps towards the larger goal? How will you know where you need to keep working?

Encouragement on days when nothing seems to be going right. If you want to see progress, keeping a log will show in black and white where you started from, and where you are now in the goal process.

And a HUGE one, Challenges!!! If you are ever denied access, and possibly need to sue to make sure that it doesn't happen again to you or someone else, you want to be able to prove your dog is trained to mitigate your disability and not just an Emotional Support Dog. There are many folks that state their dog is a service dog but have no proof in court, so they lose their case. And you need to have proof in court, not just memories (and who can remember everything anyway?) to back you up. A training journal shows for the world to see that 'MY DOG IS TRAINED to MITIGATE MY DISABILITIES' and no one can dispute it.

PS: While classes are great and we are going to classes as well, I don't believe that was the intent of the 120 hours of public access because any dog going through agility, Rally-O, conformation, etc. will have a lot of class time, though I might be wrong, or it may be a part. I believe the public access to be more a time of actually being in a public setting and doing their job so they have it solidly and you have proof of it. Like in a store, at the doctor's, on a bus, at the mall, etc. Anyone else have any take on that?
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 6:59am PST 
We kept a detailed training log. Each outing was graded for Obedience, Public Access, Assistance behaviors, and Environment (how comfortable he was). He was graded on a scale of 1-10 for each of these, and I made notes on each section. I also noted the best and worst thing he did each training session. I did mine in Excel so I was able to graph his progress over time. It was really interesting, I could identify when he went through fear periods and/or teenager periods.

I stopped logging when he graduated to full SD, and was glad not to have to do that every day anymore! But he had well over 350 hrs of training, closer to 400 before I graduated him. Granted that did include all traning, not just public access training.
[notify]
Brycone

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 7:16am PST 
Thanks for you input Ollivander!!! smile I like how you work a grading system into your notes. I will add that to Brycone's journaling as well. Anyone else? Other ideas? Come on, don't be shy...there are as many ways to keep a log for training as their are people doing so, I think...we can always learn from the way others are keeping their records, so come join in on the thread... Blessings
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 8:31am PST 
A couple of times a week Max blogs. He writes what he did and how he handled it. He writes about his fun times too as his blog address is on his business cards that I give to curious folks.

humsdmax.blogspot.com
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3