GO!

How does your dog ALERT???

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bo

Bo Bo

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 4:26pm PST 
Ok guys I know every dog does it different but I'm trying to figure out if Bo is trying to alert me about my migraines. Please tell me how your dog alerts.

As I've posted before with Pudden I have really severe seizures but I also have killer migraines that just don't hardly go away. I take Topamax, a "prevenative" for migraines and that has helped the intesetity (sp?) some but they haven't totally gone away in a while. I've been letting Bo in the house lately, he's normally outside dog, and on the days that I have migraines he just licks and licks me when he first sees me. But on the days I don't have migraines he doesn't do this obsesive licking process. So I'm starting to think it's his way of saying "Hey mom you have a migraine" shrug The nights he sleeps in the house he will wake me up licking me, and when I move is when I realize the migraine pain. If I'm sleeping and laying in one position perfectly still, they aren't too bad til I move.

So what do you guys think could this be his way of alerting me about my migraines? shrug Just don't know. I'm thinking so but I'm wanting some other opinions as well. He's almost 10 mths and so much comes natural to him. I still haven't had a seizure around them so I don't know how they will act or try and alert. In a way I'm very curious, but really don't want to have another seizure just to find out laugh out loud Well thanks for all the input in advance I greatly appreciate it. I hope all of y'all & your wonderful service dogs are doing great. wave

Dawn & Bo
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 4:31pm PST 
When Harley alerts, he stands perpendicular to me, right up against me. He them easily shifts his wait against me, making me want/need to sit.

If Sophie was alerting (I think she was, time will tell), at the moment she is pawing at me and whining.

I didn't teach either of them to, or how to, alert, and wouldn't know how to.
[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 7:09pm PST 
I didn't teach Barkley to allert me either, but I am tyring to get him to allert me differntly. Barkley rubs his head agaisnt my leg then if I put my hand down to his face he licks it excessivly. He always licks, but never more then a once or twice, when he is allerting he wont stop! It sounds like Bo could be allerting to your migeranes.
[notify]

Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 5:57pm PST 
Sabrina is a natural alerter as well. At first she'd just sit in front of me and stare at me to alert. I changed it to bumping me with her nose, and over the years it's morphed into her rubbing her head on me. With Ollie, I am training him to put his head in my lap as a response, and hopefully that will be his alert cue, too.

It's hard to tell if your dog was alerting or not, you'll have to watch closely for a pattern. I would be careful, though, about taking a dog that's lived most of it's life outside and trying to turn them into a service dog. I'm not saying it can't be done, but often if a dog is used to living outside and being more on their own, being inside stores, shops etc can be quite stressful. I know someone who had a puppy that lived mostly outside, and she took it into too many places too fast and the dog turned aggressive. I'm not saying it can't be done, but just make sure you get a trainer to help evaluate and make sure you're not going to be stressing your dog out!
[notify]
Bo

Bo Bo

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 9:46pm PST 
Sabrina thanks so much for your concern about the stress on an outside dog. Bo is fixing to be 10 mths old and actually has spent most of the time inside. It's been in the last few months that he has been staying outside. He has very good house manners and is house broke but he has friends outside that perfer to stay outside. They have all had the outside/inside option. He has gone to PetsMart before because any dog can go there and he did really great. This was before I was even considering him for a service dog or considering getting any dog for a service dog.

As for now I'm just going to keep watching him and see if I can put it together. He does so much else naturally, it really wouldn't surprise me. Today I didn't have the migraine and I didn't have the bath of kisses. Just one to say he loved me and that was it. Thanks for all the input and I really love hearing all the adventures with you and your SDs. applause
[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 10:50am PST 
You mentioned you take Topomax as a preventative for migranes.

Did you know the proper and original use for this medication is as a anti seizure medication?

But doctors also perscribe it beyond its original use for migrane prevention, mood disorders, and weight loss. This medication also has some serious side effects if not monitored by your doctor such as extreme weight loss leading to anorexia, headaches, loss of nerve function, difficulty regulating body temperature, increased eye pressure, glaucoma. I take this and a fairly high dose but have my blood tested regularly and the above symptoms monitored.
Taser
[notify]
Bo

Bo Bo

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 9:50pm PST 
Taser,

Thanks for your concern, I am actually taking dual purpose, for both my migraines and my seizures and like you are carefully monitored by my doctors. I greatly appreciate you making sure I knew the side effects though, thanks again.

Well I'm getting pretty convicenced Bo has been alerting my migraines though. Monday & Tuesday I didn't have a migraine at all and Bo didn't to the bath of kisses. This morning I didn't wake up with a migraine but a little bit later Bo started with the bath of kisses and I was trying to figure out what was going on...maybe about 15 minutes later the onset pain hit.
[notify]
Pi

Yay! Hugs!

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 5:45am PST 
Pi alerts (though he's retired and now only does this at home) by jumping up and nipping at me. Works great as an alert, but did look to other people like I had a poorly behaved dog.
Nala alerts by head butting me, or occasionally (when my sugar gets really really low) by whining.
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 9:51am PST 
Gracie alerts by putting her paws on my knee and staring at me with a certain expression on her face.

She used to do this for a few seconds and then go back to doing what she was doing before, but I have worked with Gracie to lengthen her alert so that she will keep her paws on me until I notice her.

Edited by author Thu Oct 30, '08 9:53am PST

[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Tue Nov 4, '08 1:25pm PST 
Bo, I've learned over the years that there are doctors, and then there are doctors.

Glad to hear you got a good one that informs you properly.

Taser.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3