GO!

Psychiatric Service Dog certification

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Mon May 31, '10 6:03pm PST 
I have an id number for Argo...the reason for this is because when I was trying to move in with a friend, the InnTown Suites manger had a problem with her as a service dog...he wanted to see training papers and he wanted to see a registration number...these were hard to provide as I was training her myself...he would not look at my medical records or anything...he just wanted that information...so I got a number and a card, which mean nothing to the courts or anything to anyone, but it does mean less questions and less problems...which means less stress for me...

I am currently working with DARS to go to Triple Crown Academy (http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/) so that I can learn skills that I do not know that much about...Argo is allowed to come to the school and learn anything that she wants to learn as long as she has never done the job before...I am doing this, since, although I have worked with training dogs for dog shows and have trained Argo myself, I would like to have a paper backing me up, that I know what I am doing...forget the dog...lol I want to have documents stating that I can train a dog...that with her ID number and my medical records are all good for my condition...I have idopathic hypersominia and sometimes i sleep for over 18hrs and still wake up tired...sometimes ill even stay up for 4 to 6 hrs and then go right back to sleep for another 12...i have been training Argo to wake me up, but it is easier going to the school where they can work with her and me with this type of training...this will also provide future dog trainers with real time experience of someone that has a different type of need for a service dog...

if one looks to the ADA laws, they will see that we do not need this ID or Certified number crap...however, joe shmo may not know that...and people are dumb when it comes to service dogs...often after walking onto a bus or into a restruant by myself, I will hear, "is that a blind dog in training?" or I get signed "are you deaf, is that a deaf dog?" a person is smart...people in general are not...having the paperwork there just for the paper trail helps one out so you can have if need be or explain things easier...for instance, my card has the number for complants of ADA discrimation...i can also call the police to enforce this at all times....

for instance, I live here in San Antonio, TX...my twin sister (who has a dog she is training as well for the same problem) had an issue with VIA, our public transportation...when the transit police were called, the bus driver got into trouble and her and her dog (Nova) had to be allowed on the bus....having the id tags, vests, and other types of paperwork only help to show the person that you really do need the animal an not that its a pet...too many people have been taking animals into places without the actual need for the animal, because of this we are forced to have a document trail...for peace of mind and less hassle...we dont need it by law, but people are dumb when it comes to the law...

p.s. hope this is readable...my dyslexic and ADHD....
[notify]
Maizie Moo

Yup, I'm a- fashion diva,- DEAL!

Barked: Tue Jun 1, '10 12:06am PST 
I replied to this a couple yrs ago, but I know it's a subject that pops up now and then. Sibce it was initially posted there's been such a positive movement overall with regard to PSDs, yet the problems with access re: SDs in general continues to be an issue for many. Probably always will be.

My thoughts really haven't changed on the certification thing... not necessary, so why bother forking over bucks to a trainer (especially one who is not familiar with SDs) or to a scam-fest web site for a piece of paper? If it's simply for peace of mind, just type up a letter yourself, scribble some illegible fiction name on it and voila!... your dog is as "certified" as it would be if you paid someone to do it (where the ADA and our rights as SD handlers is concerned). I mean really... It's not like Joe Shmo is going to look at the name of a trainer on a piece of paper and call that person to verify the dog is a SD.

Another point to ponder: those who feel showing ID/paperwork is "easier" (saves you the anxiety/stress of persistant demands you prove your dog is a SD), have you considered that by giving in and showing a piece of paper or card you're condoning an offense on the part of the person doing the questioning?... telling him/her it's perfectly ok to demand proof of any person with a SD that comes along in the future?

I've "given in" twice in 25 years partnered with SDs. First time was when I was a newbie & didn't know it wasn't legal to be asked for proof. Second time was not so long ago, with Maizie in a restaurant. I argued with an employee for a good 15 minutes while she demanded I either show her tags proving Maizie was a SD or take her out of the restaurant. While there was no way in hell I was going to take my dog outside and continued stating she cannot legally demand proof of any kind, it got pretty old arguing... so I reached under the table & jingled Maizie's collar tags. The woman didn't see the tags, let alone read them, yet she accepted the tags as "proof" and huffed away. I returned a couple days later with ADA and law info, spoke with the manager and got an apology.

I honestly felt rather ill after I gave in and jingled Maizie's collar tags. I swore I'll never allow such a person to get the better of me again.
[notify]
Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 2:27am PST 
"Another point to ponder: those who feel showing ID/paperwork is "easier" (saves you the anxiety/stress of persistant demands you prove your dog is a SD), have you considered that by giving in and showing a piece of paper or card you're condoning an offense on the part of the person doing the questioning?... telling him/her it's perfectly ok to demand proof of any person with a SD that comes along in the future?"

i have thought of this as a problem...but i keep it only if asked...once asked...i explain the law and do say i have my paperwork, mainly a paper signed by both my doctor and vet...the doc saying "this person has a medical reason for having a service dog" and the other saying "this dog is in good health and is up to date on her shots...she is does not pose a health risk to people." this is my proof and i do tell them as such, however, i explain that by law i do not need to show any proof to them and they are only allowed to ask two questions...i do tell them that i am one of the "informed people that need service dogs, although not all may be informed or even able to know what your asking of them." i do also tell them that not everyone will have paperwork with them and if they have a problem then they need to call the ADA and talk with them about what they need to do in the future...if someone wants to know more, they can take it up with a police officer...because if one is being told that they are not allowed in, then they are breaking the law...an officer is there to enforce the law...therefore, calling the police and having them come to explain things does help...usually stating your knowledge of the law helps others to not mess with you...

on the same token, there are many people that are posing and do not ever "train" there dogs they are taking with them...this can lead to problems for us that have done some sort of training with are dogs to get them to do the things that are being asked of them...having paperwork from your doctor and vet are great because these can be taken to court and these people can be called into court as well...this also helps if someone thinks that your dog may not be a service dog when they are...you can then show the officer right there that the lady is an idiot, and if she would like to press charges of fraud "misrepresentation of a service animal" you would like to "summit" your first piece of evidience... wink

really im all about the making stupid (meaning uneducated people) not only learn but if they fail to learn...have a big nice slap in the face of proof does help make them see the errors...but i will restate...i do let them know that i dont have to have "proof" of anything to them...no id card...no id tags...nothing...but i do have to have some sort of proof for the court...at least showing the names of the doctor who said why you need one (this is important, for instance, my neurologist retired and someone else took over his business...having his info on the paperwork does help and makes finding the paperwork at the doctors office easier, because they can always call the doctor in as well...even if they cant find your medical records in a timely manner...it has happened) and the vet (so that you can have not only your vet records but that your vet says your dog is of sound mind and such, along with the shot history...lol believe it or not...some people think a vet should know if a dog is of sound mind more then a dog trainer!

anyways just thought i would get back to you on this...hope i explained well my thoughts...i do agree with you that some people do this the wrong way and some do it the right way...you cant just get on the bus every time and flash your card! it leaves the person thinking theres some law now that says all service dogs have to do this, when they dont!!!! just hoping i put more explaining into what i didnt fully explain last time...
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 2:00am PST 
Could someone please tell me how I could get a dog a registered for a service dog. I live in alaska. I am doing alot of research and possibly thinking about getting pound puppy so I can train him also I have little pom as well and working on training him so I can have him with me at work. PTSD is not fun. I hate the anxiety that affects my life. lately the shakes from it have been getting worse. I just tell people i'm really cold so they don't ask if I am ok. I hate trying to hide this but I don't need to be asked a few thousand times a day. I want to function like normal people with out this disorder. I am going to talk to my Therapist and see what she thinks about this before I bring it up with my boss. I am on disability already and would like to get off this if at all possible for me. People don't understand I guess that if we who have anxiety, ptsd, and depression don't want to be this way. So if anyone has any information that would help me out I would greatly appreciate a responce. Thank you.
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 6:04am PST 
This topic is from 2007! Please talk to Midnight Sun Service Dogs about the possibility of a Service Dog for you, they will be able to help answer your questions.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 8:50am PST 
Guest in the future it's best if you make a separate post. But your first step needs to be to talk to your doctor because disabled per the ADA is different than disabled per social security.

Second talk to on of the reputable schools in your state and see what they have to say.
[notify]
Onyx, SD

Legitimate- Mobility Dog

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 5:37pm PST 
What a scam. They charge you $50 "administrative" fee to order the ID package you can order yourself from Petjoy for free. That's rich.

Edited by author Mon Nov 5, '12 5:38pm PST

[notify]
~Missy~SD~CG- N

~Passed my CGN- test June 17th- 2012~

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 8:43pm PST 
I contacted the people mentioned above just to see what they say and yes its a $50.00 admin fee plus a $50.00 donation to thier rescue so $100.00 in total to get your dog certified,lol. I went on to say why I need my dog certified etc and added alot of info and asked detailed questions so they then turned around and told me about another site that does it free, I guess I asked to many real questions for them,lol.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:58pm PST 
Even the site that registers them for free is a scam. They also sell 'documentation' packages (@$50 if memory serves); in essence, it is the same thing as the site that wanted $150.
[notify]
~Missy~SD~CG- N

~Passed my CGN- test June 17th- 2012~

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 8:56pm PST 
Yes they all are for sure.
Missy SDIT
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3