GO!

Grooming

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Dodger Doodlenski

Are we gonna- learn something- new yet?

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 12:52pm PST 
Dodgers' mom here. How much grooming is too much? I have been grooming Dodger once a week. Just go over her with the shading blade and a double sided brush(i use the side with more spacing first then switch to the other side to brush a bit of water over her for any dirt). After all that I go over her with a towel to dry her off. I usually take my time about it as she seems to enjoy it so I take about a half hour to forty five minutes. She does not have any bare patches or anything but recently I have had people telling me that once a week is too much grooming. Is this the case or is it a good amount? It's worse in the summer time because of shedding so I groom her more than. She has a really thick double coat though and it seems like she is always shedding. That's why I groom her so often......having a hubby who may be allergic to dogs does not help any either which is another reason I groom so often. So am I over grooming or not?
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 1:01pm PST 
Sabrina usually gets a bath/shower with soap and everything every week. She doesn't need to be brushed ever because she has a very short coat (we have a brush, but it's useless to use it). We, too, are allergic to animals so that is part of the reason for frequent washing. The other reason is I don't want anyone to be able to tell that Sabrina is in the room unless they've seen her, so I'm paranonid about her smell.

My sister has a (non-SD) golden retriever and they run for 1-2 hrs a day probably 5 days of the week. He gets a bath every week as well, plus he gets brushed with a slicker brush every day, an undercoat hair remover thing about once a month.

People often tell me I groom Sabrina too much (and tell my sis the same thing), however usually they find out the grooming routine because they ask how we get their coats so soft and shiny. When we say good food, fish oil and baths once a week people usually look at us like we're nuts.

Anyway, the brushing sounds just fine. If you wash with shampoo every week you should make sure you're using a gentler shampoo, though, because most dog shampoos are designed to strip the coat of all oils so the between bath freshness lasts longer (assuming the dog gets a bath twice a year or whatever). We like Buddy Wash shampoo and separate conditioner a lot. Also the 8-in-1 oatmeal shampoo for sensitive skin is nice. My sister uses a shampoo for dogs with red/golden coats, can't remember the brand.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 1:54pm PST 
ok here is some groomer input. you guys are doing fine with the amount of grooming. the only thing i would change if you bathe once a week or more is that you should use a detergent-free shampoo and one with little to no added fragrance to it. bathing to frequently with a harsh shampoo can lead to dry and ichy skin (Best Shot brand shampoos and conditioner is Great!). other than that weekly or even daily brushing is Perfect! i wish more of my clients would try it.

For Dodger i would recommend a slicker brush (it grabs more hair), an undercoat rake (really good for when they blow their winter/summer coats), and possibly a Furminator (use after being bathed and dried or the blade won't last very long).

For Sabrina i recommend a ZoomGroom or any other rubber curry comb(its Really good for short haired dogs like Pits and Weimies. you'll be amazed how much hair you can get off!) and a nice Natural bristle brush.

hope this helps! oh and don't forget weekly ear cleaning!
[notify]

Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 2:09pm PST 
Diesel, thanks for that advice!

We actually have one of the rubber brush thingies, we still get nada on it! The cats love it, though, much more than their regular cat brush! When we lived in NC and she had to shed twice a year for winter and summer coat the rubber brush would pick up hair, but out here she doesn't need a different coat and so rarely sheds. If I've been petting her in the same spot for a long time then I can usually pick up a few hairs that have come out, but it seems to be as few hairs as come out of my friend's italian greyhound!

I know the Buddy Wash has a smell, but it is from all natural things... is that OK? I think it's like lavender and chamomile and other stuff like that. Is it too strong of a detergent? It doesn't say gentle on it, but it just seems like a very gentle one from the way it leaves her fur.

The one you reccomended, can you get it at any major pet stores or is it an order online type of thing?

Thanks so much!
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 2:20pm PST 
Buddy Wash is good and most of the fragrance seems to be mostly fro essential oils rather then synthtics. the Best Shot you can get online from several sites. I personally prefer Best Shot because i've seen what it does for coats, its Amazing, but if you like Buddy Wash better then go for it! and lucky you for have a low shedding dog! luckily Spaniels don't shed much either.
[notify]