GO!

Petit-mal seizure?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 4:32pm PST 
hug Great tips. Still haven't heard back from the vet regarding her blood work. confused
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 3:36pm PST 
Daisy has had 4 seizures. I think hers were related to the Trifexis she was taking because they happened within a week of taking it. One thing I read after her first one is to place an ice pack on the dog's lower back during the seizure to keep their temperature from spiking. I have one on the door of my freezer just for this occasion.

I also make mental note of the times everything happens, i.e., when she ran to me (she always finds me before they start), when she started stretching out, when her legs started paddling, when she tried walking around, when she was still but acting confused, and when she was acting normal again. I also note if she has any kind of elimination. The last two times I took her to the vet after a seizure the vet was very pleased I had such detailed notes. If she were to have another one, I will video it on my phone. I recently did that with my coughing/sneezing cat and the vet used it to help diagnose him since he would not stop purring for her to hear his lungs.
[notify]
KAHLUA

I'm Priceless- ^_^

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 11:05am PST 
Hi Sonja, just want to say how sorry I am that you had to see your baby have a seizure frown My Kahlua was diagnosed with epilepsy at 3, and would have about 3 grand mals a month, we just lost her to liver cancer last weekend at 13 yrs old frown

I just wanted to let you know that prior to her first grand mal seizure much like you, she was having mini body shakes and tremors (petit mals), and then would have her grand mals, usually in clusters, and exhibit the same symptoms as sweet Sonja, as far as disorientation, sensitivity, seeming lost, etc. for several hours, sometimes a little less.

I basically am posting just to give you a little advice, one being, if and when she seizes, you can put an ice pack on her lower back to help them stop sooner, and prevent a secondary seizure if she is prone to clusters like my Lou, and also usually a day or two prior to a seizure, the dogs head can get very warm almost like she's running a temperature, this can help you prepare to be home or expect that they will came and keep her busy with distraction as this sometimes prevents them, and also you will be able to be home for her for the aftermath when she is seemingly drunk and can't keep her balance and prevent her from hurting herself. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on or someone totalk to about this please feel free to message me, I'll keep your baby in my thoughts and prayers smile I hope she is doing well. hug
[notify]

Maggie (I'm- Moms Angel- Now)

Punish the DEED- NOT The Breed!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 6:55pm PST 
I know when Maggie was alive, a vet told us to rub clear karo syrup on her gums or put two drops under her tongue to jack her blood sugar back up after the seizure. I hated watching her go through each one knowing that there was not much I could do for her. She lost so much weight last summer which told us that it was cancer because she was eating 6 pounds of food per day. We were giving her two 3 pound coffee cans of food per day to try and get her to fatten up again when she started to drop serious weigh in late April early May last year. Her vet had told us in March of last year that she had brain cancer. She would still have a seizure here and there but she would go almost three months between them. When she passed away in October last year we were gone away from home but we think she had a seizure, she always had grand mal seizures, and her heart just couldnt handle the strain of the seizure. I still find myself looking for her now and then even though I can look over and see her urn on the shelf under the tv. Before I took her off the meds the vet she was seeing had her on an extra high dose of Primidone. she was taking 250 mg 2xs a day and she would still have at least 2 seizures per day.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 9:53pm PST 
hughughughughug Thanks for the information everyone.

Sonja hasn't had another seizure since her meds got to the correct level. She randomly falls from time to time but has had good moods and energy for her age. Talked to the vet and we just started the PAWS to Read program at the Charter School this last Monday. She did great (as always)...so we are taking the Therapy work one week at a time. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2