GO!

what is considered senior for a toy breed?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Kyia

Kyiamentary

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:18pm PST 
my shih tzu is 9 years old. is she senior now?
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:26pm PST 
wave I'm not sure...but I've heard anywhere between 8 to 10 or 10 to 12 years is when they are considered seniors. But little ones can also live much longer than the large breeds...16, 17, 18 years.

Sumo is 11 years old and he still like to run zoomies in the yard. dancing
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:03am PST 
smaller dogs generally live longer than large breed dogs, I would consider a toy breed a senior once they hit 11-12 years old
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 1:05pm PST 
Missy is 10 years old and i'd consider her a senior now, although that doesn't mean she acts like one or is treated like one.

If you saw her leaping from the sand dunes onto the beach this past week you'd beg to differ that she's really 10 years old! laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:46pm PST 
I would actually consider a dog senior if he is already around 10 years old or more. I guess it would also depend on whether the dog is from a small or large breed, though.
[notify]
Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 5:41pm PST 
According to my vet small/toy dogs are seniors at the age of 9.
[notify]
Lexi

Get off my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 11:42am PST 
It does seem to differ for the size (and sometimes even the breed) of the dog, but in general, it seems for small/toy breeds, a vet will determine them "senior" past 8-9 years old.
Medium/large dogs can be as early as 6 years.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 12:37pm PST 
My 15 year old mini poodle does not like to be called a senior... he still thinks he's six months old!!!!
Toto is 8 and no where near senior status yet, either. He went to the vets a while ago for the special "senior" dental and they wouldn't do one on him since he had no tartar or bad teeth!!!
On the other hand, my two 10 year old male Frenchies are DEFINITELY seniors and most Frenchies don't live much past 10 - 12.
So, it is definitely breed dependent as well as size dependent.
[notify]