GO!

Things That Make Your Senior Young Again

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Peter Parker

It's good to be- the King!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 9:19am PST 
Peter turned 11 this past September. I notice alot more gray hair now. And he just had back/neck surgery a month ago on a calcified disc that ruptured. He had his first back episode this past April that cleared up with meds and crate rest. I imagine if he did not have these back problems he'd be more "spunky". With that said, he does feed off my energy, so there is singing and dancing everyday in my home and he loves it! When he sees me bust out a song real loud and start dancing his sprits and eyes and tail go crazy!! His fav song right now is "Gangnam Style" and he loves going outside, going for car rides and anything food related. He loves sqeaky toys and food dispencing toys too big grin
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:18pm PST 
Things That Make Your Senior Young Again...thinkingthinking

The two young female poodles up the block....big laughbig laugh

Hugs & Farts
Thor ,,age 14
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:20pm PST 
Regular acupuncture and chiro adjustments keep Duke's joints young...along with Chinese herbs, joint supplements and a raw diet. He has severe arthritis in one stifle and moderate arthritis in the other. You would never know it by how well he gets around. There is really no limp at all. smile

His mind stays active through lots of outings...car rides, daily walks, hikes in the woods. We are trying snowshoeing this winter! We're taking another training class starting in January just to keep his mind working. Duke isn't much for tricks and games at home, but he loves class and training outdoors. We play nose games outside in summer (he won't play indoors, for some reason...boo).

In fact, he isn't much for any playing or games indoors. Is that common with other seniors?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 9:18pm PST 
When our dog was around 11, we brought her out to the beach because that was what made her happiest. She'd be swimming with us in the sea and then she would love for us to throw something that she would be bringing back to us afterwards. We'd play catch all day too.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 3:55pm PST 
I think the best thing you can do for an old dog is find something they love and keep doing it. Vance ran agility until the week before he died. For Belle it was car rides. Her heart was bad, so she couldn't do much physically. I would take her for a ride at least once a week, usually 2 - 3 times depending on the weather, and stop at a local garden center for a treat on the way home. Again, we shared this up until 3 days before she died.

I worked with a 14-year-old in daycare who would not stop attending - every time her owner thought her health had become too poor for daycare to be safe and tried to pull her out, she would lie down by the fireplace like she was just waiting to die. She went on like that for nearly 3 years. I had a 15-year-old petsit client that was quite feeble, but I started walking her every night. Either a circle around the yard, or walking across the street and sitting in the grass, or walking past the neighbor's house and back... So ridiculously simple, but even her owners noticed her high spirits when they came home.

Give them a reason to keep living.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:17am PST 
Eduardo is five-years-old, so he is not a senior yet. But, I feel I can add some good insight to this post. I believe Eduardo is in such good condition because he eats a prey model raw diet. His main diet includes beef tails, whole prey rabbits, duck gizzards, whole prey quail, turkey gizzards, duck feet, bison heart, llama bones, bison liver, and whole prey mice. He also gets whole prey guinea pigs, turkey, chicken, bison, and skinned/gutted rabbits on occasion. For a rare treat he gets turkey backs! Eduardo has also only ever received one vaccination in his life, and that was at 12 months old for rabies. I gave him PetAlive Parvo-K and PetAlive Vi-Pro Plus to immunize him against parvovirus and distemper from the ages of 8 to 12 weeks. I’ve never once used any chemical or drug on Eduardo, either. He wears the Only Natural EasyDefense Flea & Tick Tag. I also give Eduardo two supplements every day – Only Natural Pet GI Support and Only Natural Pet Ultimate Daily Canine Vitamins Plus. Eduardo’s one joy in life is to be a watchdog and bark at anything he sees or hears that he thinks is out of the ordinary. As long as he gets to do that, he will be a happy dog!

Edited by author Mon Jan 28, '13 2:34pm PST

[notify]
Kye

I'm like- Einstein only- hairier.

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:30am PST 
My baby Kye is 14 now (approx, he's between 13 and 15 by age assumption by the SPCA)he doesn't move as fast as he used to but he's still super adorable! Like many of the other guys and gals here Kye loves snow. First snow, third snow, hundredth snow doesn't matter! He frolicks like a puppy again but overdoes it sometimes. He'll lay down and have a nap then sounds like sticks being thrown down the stairs when he gets up to get some water. His left hind leg gets pretty stiff when its cold and he's been outside on a walk but a good butt massage sets him right. He also enjoys staring at Guinea Pigs at Petsmart but I think that is more of a "look food" thing and not an "I'm so young!" thing laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:49pm PST 
We would usually just let our dog run around for quite a while until she gets tired of it and bored, then we proceed to playing mind games with her using 3 cups and a marble. When she would get tired of guessing which cup holds the marble, she'll crash through all three of them. big laugh
[notify]
Mac

70 lbs is not to- big to be a lap- dog

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:10am PST 
Now that he has accepted the puppies My Mac is like a puppy again. I love watching him play with the puppies!
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 8:50pm PST 
Chocolate is at least 12(I've had him for 10 years and he was young adult when I got him). He's always up for walks, and loves it when I throw pieces of kibble down the hallway for him to chase.

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 8:51pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3