Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:20pm PST 
Took Sabs for a check up today.
To quote the vet "you couldn't convince me to euthanize this dog"
She gave her a body condition score of 3. Stated that she is a bit overweight for a Shepherd, but not overweight for a dog. 84 lbs, yay. Not 'grossly obese' so we will continue working on it as we have been.
The wobbling is neurological, not due to her hips. She has some pain in her hips when extended. Basically her brain doesn't know where her feet are. And the same thing is probably causing the confusion. She said its not cognitive disorder as Sabi was really alert and focused.
She has some inflammation in her gums which we can deal with and the growth on her shoulder is some kind of wart not another cyst.
No abdominal tenderness, good heart rate, no murmur, clear lungs.
She says we get to stay together for a while yet. Just wanted to tell someone 'cause I'm sooooo happy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:31pm PST 
cheercheercheer Glad to hear it. From some of your earlier posts and her appearance she did not look at all ready to give up just yet. I'm quite sure you don't mind her hanging around for a bit more with you. I normally hate to say I told you so,but in this instance I am more than thrilled to do so.So here goes,"I told you so." Trust yourself and Sabi,you'll know when the time is right,and she will not let go one second faster than she is ready. Enjoy and rejoice that she is able to keep moving along and stubborn enough to continue to enjoy life on her terms.hugwishes This is such wonderful news.happy dance
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:57pm PST 
snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy

There is a wonderful phrase... often said with true glee and joy... too right too ....

"There's life in the old dog yet "

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy Sabi !!

snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 8:53pm PST 
This is just wonderful news.

I reckon she's got tonnes of life left in her yet!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 9:01pm PST 
Thanks guys!The prognosis may still be grim but not today. Degenerative Myelopathy
Seems to fit all her symptoms but the vet says in some cases it takes several years to progress.
She also mentioned that Sabs episode last fall may have been some type of mild stroke.
Basically her back legs seem to sort of wobble and go where they want. But she doesn't drag them or knuckle under on them. I notice mostly that they land one on top of the other and then she trips.
Don't care for now she's healthy and happy and thats all I want.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 4:07am PST 
We are happy for you!! cheerdancingsnoopy Extra time is always a good thing................
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 8:27am PST 
cheer Beautiful news for a beautiful dog!
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 5:38pm PST 
That is great news.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 7:36am PST 
cheercheercheercheerhappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dance Give Sabi a big hugbig hugbig hug from us!! big grin
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 10:03am PST 
hug Plenty of hugs! That's always awesome to hear! I wish Maya and I had had more time together. I know I'll have plenty of years with Charlie yet. It's always good to hear good news. I'm so happy for you. This just totally brightened my day to read. Give Sabs a hug if she likes them!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2