GO!

They're getting older, you're getting "younger"

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 7:34am PST 
We have this same issue with our Great Dane, Liberty. She's only seven but that's pretty old for a dane. I have tried to just walk her down the small hill in our neighborhood. It's only about 50 yards but when we turn to go back up that hill, she literally DRAGS at the end of the leash. Her head hangs down to the ground and she just looks like she's about to pass out. Needless to say we don't really walk her very far any more. She's still pretty active in the house but on walks...well she'd rather not.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 9:11am PST 
Kind of similar, I wanted to bike ride with my dogs on a hill trail up and down steeply I mean. They can not keep up with bike going down, and I don't want them try. So I saw this buggy you can attach to the end of the bike for dogs lol! I didn't get it because I don't think I'm strong enough. But perhaps something like a Sanka cart? Then she could go out and enjoy sites and smells with you and your other dog but not hold you back or need to worry about her physically? Does your other dog like to pull carts by any chance?! That would be awesome!!
[notify]
Miss- Scarlett

Pick me- up...please!

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 10:56am PST 
Sanka,
I know what you are talking about. I have 5 in my pack...three 10 year olds...a 7 year old and a 5 year old. Recently, Miss Scarlett (10 years old) has been lagging behind on our hikes and the other day she disappeared on me. When I got back to the car...there she was. I think she simply decided she was done and left the pack to wait for us back at the car. Scary.

Needless to say, she will need to stay at home from now on when we hike. Too many preditors in this area...I can't have her being by herself. The thing is...she pouts when I leave her home by herself. If Dad is home...no big deal. It breaks my heart to leave her behind but her safety is my responsibility...no matter how heart breaking it makes me feel.

I think I'll take her to our sad dog park (not really even a park) to run around a bit. It will be her special thing. hugshrughug
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 12:51pm PST 
lol, I thought about a cart. Moreso those things you pull behind a bike, usually for kids. I started biking with Kato. Kato loves it! No way in heck could Sanka come...so I thought maybe if I put him in one of those.

But I ultimately decided it would just be a disaster. Sanka's all about the smells, not the sites. Not being able to stop and sniff would drive him crazy!

And that's another frustrating thing with my 2. One dog is go, go, go and the other stops and smells the first thing they run into for half an hour.laugh out loud
[notify]
Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Wed Oct 12, '11 6:50am PST 
We have the same issue with Tucker. He turns 13 on Halloween, and with his neurological issues, he can't walk very far. Sometimes we can get past three houses, and then we have to turn back for home because he's lagging, and will need to be carried soon.

We tried a Costco wagon, but although Tuck would ride around in it just fine in the backyard for treats, he isn't keen on staying in it when we go for a walk by the harbor. He sits for a bit, then insists that he MUST get out and walk with our younger dog, even though you can see that it is clearly very difficult for him, and you know he's going to be really sore if he continues.

Edited by author Wed Oct 12, '11 6:50am PST

[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Tue Oct 18, '11 4:41pm PST 
Sanka , Its not easy gettig old...hughug

Hugs & Farts
Ye Old Thor...wave
[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '11 3:07pm PST 
Take Kato out and burn off his energy then come back for Sanka and everybody can go at his pace for the last part of the walk?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2