GO!

We just adopted an Elder

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tori

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 12:33pm PST 
This beautiful 8 year old great dane was dumped by her owners due to her age frown we have never had an elder or a giant breed. Any tips are welcome!

Oh and she still needs a name smile
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 1:24pm PST 
Love her and she'll love you right back! Congratulations! applausecheer
[notify]
Hanno

Crazy fun

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 2:59pm PST 
I think its awesome you decided to adopt an older dog smile Not a lot of people are willing to do that, unfortunately.

As for her name...try to think of something unique.

I named my puppy Balta. Not many other dogs (none I have ever met) have been named that so its unique. ^^ I chose it because Balto was one of my favorite dogs from the movies when I was a kid, and in Spanish class, feminine words have an "a" so Balto + a = Balta big grin haha

When thinking of Great Danes...only famous one I can think of is Marmaduke...haha.

At 8, its a bit strange to be renaming...does he or she already have a name?
[notify]

Lance- (1995-2009)

Faithful- Guardian

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 3:25pm PST 
What a beautiful girl!

Only advice I can think of is since she's a senior and a giant breed, she may have some joint issues. I'd consider putting her on fish oil and glucosamine.

Thank you for adopting a senior dog! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with her blue dog

Edited by author Tue Sep 27, '11 3:27pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 5:39pm PST 
She's Beautiful and Thank-you for adopting her. I used to see alot of elders dumped just because people didn't want to deal with health problems or the idea of euthanasia was just too much for them when I volunteered at my local shelter. May you have years of joy with her.
Glucosamine from your local store is good for joints we also use fish oil and vitamin E. Also feeding the best quality Large breed food you can afford. We use Blue Buffalo and my dogs prefer the chicken and brown rice but we're going to try broadening their menu of flavors soon. My pups are much younger Mika is almost 5 and Kai just turned 2.
Best of Luck with your new babywisheshugcheer
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 7:33pm PST 
How about Beauty for a name... thinking
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 5:25am PST 
It's a good idea for big dogs to eat out of an elevated dish.
Here's a website that you might find interesting.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/on_my_soap_box _purdue_bloat_study.htm
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 6:30am PST 
She's beautiful! I love Danes...cloud 9 Thank you so much for adopting an older dog. flowers

I've got a great tip that comes from Irish Wolfhound breeders: Take a good look at your floors. Slippery floors are terrible on the older hips of big dogs. Wherever they have wood or tile, they put down carpeted runners that have those non-slip pads under them. It is very helpful for older dogs. Also, look at where your new friend will be walking the most...are the stairs easy for her to negotiate? For pottying, is it quick and easy for her to get outside?

I like the name Greta, diminutive of Margaret in German, which means Pearl. My favorite female Dane I've met so far was a Greta.

Enjoy! hug
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 6:50am PST 
Turner - Black Beauty?? thinking
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 9:22am PST 
She is a beauty. Thank you for giving her a home. How about Grace.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3