GO!

Well Now I Get It. Sort Of. Rant.

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Maya - In Loving- Memory

BSL: Educate,- don't- discriminate.

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 11:10am PST 
Now I get why some people don't take their dogs in to get them euthanized. Now I get why some people will shoot the dog, if they're able, or they will let it suffer. Sometimes, it's for their own selfish feelings...

But has anyone learned the COST and EXPENSE of letting a dog go humanely? Anywhere from $150 and up. That's right. And those cheap $150 places? They aren't open on weekends. So you have to call every other place that IS open on weekends, to get ridiculous price quotes like $331, or the worst I found, $480. FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS... just to humanely let my dog go?

Yes, I called around to get price quotes, no it's not because I'm cheap, it's because I can't afford to put her down for such high prices, heck, I'm using a credit card that's already fairly racked up. So, yes, I am kind of angry that some places are charging so highly, just to have a dog let go.

I wanted at least a paw print, if I couldn't afford her ashes... But at these rates? I can't even afford the paw print. The cheapest I could find AND get an appointment for costs $259 + gst. Can I afford that, at all? Absolutely not. But the only places that cost under $200 were booked until later in the month, if not til next month. One of them even said they couldn't do it because they don't have tech's in on the weekends.

Weekends are the ONLY time I can get a ride to get it done, anywhere. I cannot take an 80-90 lb Rottweiler on public transit... Nor will cabs take most little dogs here, let alone a big one...

Sigh.

I was bawling my eyes out just trying to find a cheap place that was actually open for getting it done, but at the rates they have, I can't get her paw print, or her ashes, or any of that stuff... Just get to say goodbye and pay over two hundred dollars to do it.

At least she won't be suffering, right?

THIS IS NOT me condoning shooting dogs, or ANYTHING like that at all. I'm just really upset that it's so expensive just to let my dog go and if it wasn't for my credit card, I couldn't do it because I have no job right now, so yes, in a way, I understand why some people simply can't have it done...
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 11:34am PST 
I'm sorry hughug... it is costly to let a pet go humanely.

Eta: Around here, euthanasia and cremation costs are based on the size of the pet (and whether the pet will be cremated communally or individually).

Edited by author Fri May 27, '11 11:39am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 11:43am PST 
wow. having to deal with that on top of the loss. even the vet that I really didn't like dealt with the situation better than that.

So sorry.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 12:45pm PST 
hug that is a lot to deal with at such a horrible time. Can you make your own paw print? Dollar stores should have large ink pads & you could get some "fancy" parchment paper fairly cheap. If it would go through a computer printer you could add a picture & a quote & have a beautiful memory of your beloved.
[notify]
Maya - In Loving- Memory

BSL: Educate,- don't- discriminate.

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 2:41pm PST 
Thanks for understanding guys. Wasn't sure if I was going to get flamed or not. And yes, it's based on the weight of the pet here and whether or not you take the ashes home, and whether or not you take the body home, or get a paw print, etc. But it adds up. The cremation costs alone, even if you don't take them home, are really expensive.

Thanks for the fantastic idea Sq'mey! I didn't even think of that. I have ink/paint here that I could do it with, I'll have to see if I can get some good paper at Michael's art store or something too, though. I was planning to take her to the park nearby before hand too, get a couple nice outdoor photos of her and let her have some time running around before she goes. She loves her off leash walks.
[notify]
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 3:00pm PST 
Going off of Squ'emy (sorry if I misspelled it), you can get the cement paw kits for like twenty bucks at Wal*Mart or a craft store.

I don't think you will get flamed, I think we all understand the pain you are going through, its always hard to loose a beloved pet. I don't know what else to say but have a hug.

hug
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 3:05pm PST 
That is sad, I'm sorry you are having to go through that. frown

Another option is to get some clay or Model Magic and make a paw impression. The paw impression kit my vet uses has some type of foam clay material, which is why I suggested Model Magic (if you can't afford a paw print kit) because it is a similar texture to what the kit has, but something like regular clay might work too.

You can also do this using plaster of paris and sand. We did the sand paws at dog camp as a craft and the result is a really nice keepsake. The way it worked was they had bowls of damp sand, you press the dog's paw into the sand (you can smooth the sand back and try again if it doesn't come out well the first time). When we did this at camp they also had bits of sea glass, colored rocks, shells and other things you could also press lightly into the sand if you wanted. When it's ready they carefully pour plaster of paris type stuff into the bowl. When it dries and hardens, you have a positive image of the dog's pawprint, complete with a sand coating and inlaid shells or other decorations.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 7:40pm PST 
I am so sorry you have to go through this.

If you have a Micheal's they have the baby "hand print" kits you could use for her paw print.

hughughug
[notify]
Bella

Rub my Belly!

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 6:53am PST 
Maya, I am so sorry you are going through this right now. hug

Exactly a year ago yesterday I had to make the dreadful decision to put our 8 yr old Saint down...it was so horrible. Like you I was a little taken aback by the cost, $464 to have him euthanized and private cremation. I know it is not anyone's fault...but when things are hard enough emotionally you would think somehow they could make more affordable.

This probably sounds strange to some..but I arranged with my vet that every visit I make I add $5 to my bill, this way I always have a credit, so in the event of a situation like this I don't actually have to pay. It was hard after letting him go to stand at the counter to hear a bill of $464, and a toddler asking where her dog was cry I convinced my vet (why they didn't do it before) to let clients pay prior, or trusted clients pay later.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 8:34am PST 
Yep. I remember hearing other people taljk about how much they paid to have their dog to PTS and i was "What?! You have to PAY to have your dog PTS?". Like, if the situation isn't bad enough, on top of that you have to pay an equal price to roughly that of a spay/neuter surgery. Seems quite insensitive in a way, but vet practices are a business and i guess you just have to understand that in the end.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6