GO!

Be Gentle: I Know My Dog Is Old (article)

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 9:27pm PST 
Agree with the last two posters. Pain is relatively cheap and easy to alleviate...I wouldn't euthanize because of some judgement that I am completely incapable of making objectively about my dog being in "too much pain." And certainly not because I have to do a little bit more for him than I used to. That's selfish and disgusting...

I can sympathize with someone who has their dog PTS because it has stopped eating, playing, etc, all those sorts of things. The dog is wasting away at that point. But because "she has a harder time getting around than she used to" or "she craps in the house and it's gross to clean up"...

Ugh.

I know someone dealing with this situation right now...hard to do. She has to deal with selfish people telling her that her dog should be PTS. She won't, though, they are too attached to eachother. And the dog still is happy and relatively active...just a bit "leaky" lol, and sore in the hips (arthritis).

Edited by author Sat Mar 12, '11 9:29pm PST

[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 10:55pm PST 
I'm in the same boat.

We had an cat some years ago, Angelina. She lived until she was almost 18. She spent her last few months in her chair commanding the world around her like all cats do. The day her eyes didn't sparkle, when she couldn't get to her litter box or eat on her own was her last day. Angelina was a member of the family, not just a cat. If there was an old folks home for cats that was our house in her last days.

I'd certainly be offended if someone told me to get rid of my older dog, especially if they were still able to move around and eat on their own.
I was talking to a guy about his dog who had to have an expensive hip surgery. He said that his parents told him to get rid of the dog instead of spend the money on the surgery. It was a just dog, he could get another one for cheaper than the surgery.
I certainly don't feel that way and neither did that guy. He paid for the dog's hip by selling his car. I'd do the same thing. The worst part about that story is the dog was only a couple years old and people were telling him to put it down. If you think an animal is disposable then you don't deserve to own one.

There is a point where the right thing to do would be to put your pet down. That happened with Angelina when she was no longer having a quality life. But as long as they are still living and enjoying life, they are worth keeping around even if it's inconvenient to you.
[notify]
Paris

Paris the blind- wonderdog!

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 6:03am PST 
Or they think I should put Paris down because he became blind???
He is a perfectly healthy 11 year old blind dog.
[notify]

Grace

Daddys- Princess

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 3:28pm PST 
I was both deaf and blind. had to be carried up stairs. but still got in and out of my favorite chair(my dad cut the legs off it for me), ate and cuddled, right up to the day I passed in my sleep. in my favorite chair , at 16 years old.

those same humans who dont think dogs are worth it, would dump thier still mostly able parents in nursing homes, just so they donr have to be bothered driving them around. or helping with chores
[notify]
In Memory Of- : Gadreial

Queen Gabby

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 4:16pm PST 
opps mom is old too, the above post is by me
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 9:07am PST 
Id be much more likely to put a human relative in a nursing home. The dogs have never dissapointed me. The people not so much Hopefully my parents who live pretty far will stay fairly healthy because they dont liek dogs so they could never live with me!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3