GO!

Supplements

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:11pm PST 
Please, can someone educate me on some good supplements for seniors?

Currently, all I know of is glucosamine. I think Sanka may need some supplements this year, and I want to be informed on what's what.

What supplements do you give your dog? How do you give it to your dog? What brands do you buy? Where do you buy them?
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 7:49am PST 
I go by the dogs individual condition needs. Dr. Z has kidney issues so she gets a renal vitamin. All my seniors get coenzyme q 10, the littles get 100 mg every other day and Norbert gets it every day. bob is young so he gets every other day when he is older it will be every day. all my dogs, even bob, get glucosamine. I give norbert and tubby curcumin and bromelain to help absorb the curcumin (every other day) its a powerful anti oxidant. I give them yogurt as a brobiotic and digestive enzymes. They all get alaskan salmon oil and I will be adding vitamin e, they all get vitamin c as well. Since Tubby has had a mast cell tumor he gets a multi vitamin to support the immune system, its too pricey for me to give everyone. I also give all my seniors milk thistle for the liver. Im a supplement junkie thugh so I may overdue it
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 9:43am PST 
Max just gets what he needs to balance his raw diet, a few minerals and vitamin E. He doesn't seem to need a joint supplement at this point.
[notify]

Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 7:01pm PST 
Hershey is on Dasuquin (glucosamine) and an omega 3 fatty acid, both for his joints. the Omega 3 (or fish oil) is a very helpful supplement and also helps keep a nice haircoat.
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 3:00pm PST 
I also tend to give extra supplements for specific conditions. I have 3 seniors and one adult. They all get a whole food supplement that contains vits/mins/antioxidants/fatty acids, etc. I either use Wholistic Pet Joint Mobility or Dinovite. They all get Wholistic Pet Salmon oil or Dinovite's Lick-O-Chops (omega fatty acide supp.). They all get a glucosamine/chond/msm supplement from Springtime, Inc. In addition, they each get the following for specific things:

Lucy Mae (will be 10 years old this July):
COQ10 every other day, and sometimes a renal supplement.
She used to get Rubenal (kidney supp.), but the vet decided she
didn't need it any more due to good kidney values at the last
few visits.

Desi Ray (will be 8 years old this May):
He gets a natural anti-inflammatory supplement called Pain Plus
along with the glucosamine supp. Also gets COQ10 every other
day.

Stella Agnes (turned 10 years old in Feb.):
COQ10 every other day along with a supplement for heart issues
called Cardio Strength. Cavaliers tend to have heart issues and
she does have an asymptomatic enlarged heart. I have also given
her a supplement called Blood & Energy when she had a bout of