GO!

BAD behavior at the groomer

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Henry

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 10:37am PST 
Our scoty is in big trouble. He has been to 4 different groomers now (not all because of behavior - groomer quit, etc.) But, back in July, our new groomer mentioned that Henry nipped at her when she tried to groom his face. Henry is all about play, and I thought he was just in a playful mood. Well, when I picked he up yesterday - the groomer said he was impossible to handle. Nipped (hard) and wouldn't let her touch his ears, beard - and you should see his tail..... She doesn't want him back unless he is sedated. So, we have a problem red face He is basically a good dog - but, is impossible to handle when out in public. We try to socialize him - walk him at the park, etc., but he is generally 'over the top' around people. Not aggressive, just playful - jumping on people, etc. He's almost 2 years old and I know terriers tend to take longer to mature - but this last incident is serious. Anyone have any suggestions??
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Fri Sep 12, '08 8:45pm PST 
Hmmm, sorry to hear that. Allee has always been good about grooming. I took her the first few times and then I purchased my own pair of clippers from walmart and now I cut her hair myself. She does well, but was already used to it.
As far as acting out in public I share your concern. Allee is a bit weird on walks. She will do great other than some pulling until she sees a dog or cat that she doesn't like and she will pull and yelp and whine til we get past them.
Allee will be 3 in October and has always done this. We live in a condo so there is always lots of dogs and cats and people out. Some she will just walk right by but some she goes crazy over.
[notify]
Henry

Barked: Sun Sep 14, '08 5:18am PST 
Thanks for the response. I have to say that you have mastered the grooming of Allee perfectly. Did you have any training - or just trial and error. I think I will probably have to resort to trying to groom Henry, also. Did you follow any specific pattern? I hate the way the professionals have done Henry's tail - it always looks like a chopped up mess.

I just looked at your dogster page - Allee is just a hoot. Henry 'watches' tv also, and occasionally jumps at the screen - but Allee takes the prize.
[notify]

Riley

I run this- place!

Barked: Wed Jan 7, '09 11:13pm PST 
sorry to here this... we started riley on grooming procedures very very early, so this helped with him. you need to socialize your scottie. thiw doesnt mean just taking him to the park, this means spending a lot of time with other dogs, young children, and older people. this wil socialize him. you could even enroll your scottie in a socializing class, these are offered at most pet shops and if you cant find one at a pet shop, check the internet for dog socializing classes in your area, these work wonders!
[notify]
Henry

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 4:57pm PST 
We have finally nipped this problem in the bud.... We discovered that Henry has chronic ear infections due to allergies. Our new vet has him on an enzyme solution that can be used as often as necessary and keeps his ears pretty much problem free. When his ears aren't bothering him he is fine with letting the groomer do his beard and ears. My husband stays with him for discipline - but really he's been a good boy every since we addressed the ear problem.
[notify]
Henry

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 4:28am PST 
It's been a long time since I posted this - but thought that I would update the situation. We did go through several groomers - but finally found the ONE. She raises giant schnauzers to show and just loves all dogs. She has a real handle on the proper 'scotty' cut and he looks great every time. She stopped his tendency to nip when doing his ears and nails - after the 1st visit. I think we had some groomers just were not able to show Henry that they were in charge. Henry loves to go to the groomer now and thinks he's one of the pack when he visits the schnauzers.
[notify]