GO!

Ridgeback with Hives!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ange Gardien

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 6:01pm PST 
Ange, our three year old Ridge, has come up with hives on her neck and they're now starting up on her neck. The vet has given her Benadryl by injection and we've given pills. They don't seem to help that much. The vet now wants us to try some antibiotics.

Are there any breed-specific issues re: diet or ?? that cause hives? We're about to embark on a costly allergy test with our vet but I'm hoping someone here may have some breed-specific info that may help us narrow our search.

She didn't start new food until about four days after the hives. She was on Exclusive, now she's on Innova, the ancestral diet one. We haven't started using any new cleaners around the house and my wife is very good about sticking to very mild, natural cleaners. No new treats. We get bones from our local butcher.

She did used to have breathing problems around the early spring and late fall, but we thought she'd outgrown it. This year there haven't been any breathing problems, but now this. I have no idea if it's related or not, but I do live in the grass seed capital of the world and allergy capital of the world--near Eugene, Oregon.
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Fri Apr 30, '10 8:36pm PST 
Our Ridgeback puppy broke out in hives and we gave her one Benadryl pill. The next morning her hives were gone. As a next step we put her on "Advantage" since she seemed to have allergic reaction to flea bites. We are in San Diego, CA. We found out by Google search this breed is prone to flea allergy. Good luck with your research and treatment plan.
[notify]