GO!

Do ridgeback mixes have to have the ridge?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ruby

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 7:46am PST 
I have been told several times that Ruby is a Ridgeback but she does not have the trademark ridge. Her hair does stand up a lot when excited etc. but no actual ridge. Does anyone think she could be ridgeback mix or no?
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 11:05pm PST 
I believe Zoey is a lab/ridgeback. She has no ridge but the hair on her back doesn't grown straight back, but it sure doesn't grow backwards like the real ridges.
[notify]
Zeke

Barked: Sun Sep 21, '08 10:55am PST 
yes my dog zeke is 75% lab and 25% Rohdesian Ridgeback and has the rigde
[notify]

KIYA

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 3:43pm PST 
Ruby could very well be a Ridgeback mix. Purebred Ridgebacks are born with a ridge, no exceptions. If she is a mixed breed, that would make perfect sense as to why she seems Ridgeback-like even tho she doesn't have their trademark ridge. I actually have a friend who we believe has a boxer/ridgeback mix. This dog has no ridge on her back but has a small ridge on her neck! Mixed breeds have totally different genes, so getting the ridge and getting the ridge in the correct location are characteristics that are very hard to predict.
[notify]
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 2:58am PST 
Compaired to what some people may believe even purebred Rhodesian Ridgebacks can be born without a ridge. Bother of the ridgebacks I have owned (one purebred and one mixed) have both had ridges. Shandi's ridge is very wide and wonky with 3 crowns.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 1, '09 2:01pm PST 
No ridgeback mixes do not have to have the ridge it is a recessive trait.
[notify]
Marco

Nooo my cookies- are misssing

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 11:29pm PST 
Marco is mixed with Rhodesian and he dosn't have the ridge its purebreeds who do sooo mixes dont have the ridge dog
[notify]
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 10:56am PST 
Just as Shandi has said, yes even PUREBRED Ridgebacks can be born without a Ridge or "Ridgeless Ridgebacks" as theyre often called. It doesnt happen very often, but they are no more inferior health-wise than any puppy born with a ridge.

As for mixes, there is no for sure yes or no as to whether they will inherit the ridge. Depending on the mix of breeds, the ratio, and sometimes just dumb luck you may end up with a litter of Ridgeback mixes- some of which have a ridge and some not. Be lucky if you have a dog who does have a ridge, at least you know what one part of the mix is!!!

As for the hair "standing up", this is NOT a ridge. Ok well... let me try to explain. If the "ridge" in question stands up PERMANENTLY, or lays flat, or is ALWAYS there- however it looks or swirls- it IS a ridge. Alot of novice owners will see their dogs hair stand up from time to time down their back and think they are part ridgeback. This is NOT the case. Any dog's hair can stand up from its neck to its tail- usually only when exposed to other dogs or people, stimulating events. Its a sign that the dog is alert- and it doesnt always mean the dog is agressive either. They are just REALLY amped up for whatever reason! Oh by the way, these are called "hackles".

SO, if the hair standing up in whatever form is permanent on the dog, always in that position... you have a ridge. If the hair stands up on occasion when he sees other dogs and then goes back to normal flat.. thats just his hackles being rasied. smile
[notify]
Jersey

Barked: Tue Jan 5, '10 6:04pm PST 
In fact there is a 33% chance that a RR will not have a Ridge, and yes I mean pure breed.In fact they believe that the ridge in fact is the one possible cause for the dermotitis or however you spell it. I have done my research and in fact the reason people think that a RR has to have a ridge is because its a trait people look for which causes breeders to breed only the specific type of RR that will give offspring that also have that trait.
[notify]
Roxie

Barked: Mon Mar 1, '10 11:53pm PST 
My mom just got me 2 days ago from a friend that found me running the streets, my mom would like to talk to you now. Hi this is mom, i think she is Rhodesian Hound mix with the head profile and the ears and the rust colored coat that looks like all the other ridgebacks i have looked at. I am guessing she is mixed with hound because her tail curls up into a perfect C when she has it up, which is all the time. Can anyone give me some help and maybe some coformation.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2