GO!

Would you let a sitter feed your dog kibble for four months?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Jango

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '16 8:35pm PST 
So I've been feeding my lab raw since he was 4 months old-- for the last 16 months. Now this summer I'm going on a long road trip, and I was planning on taking him with me, but circumstances screwed me over and I won't be able to. Fortunately I have a friend who is in love with him, so they're willing to sit him for the next four months or so. The thing is, they have this kibble from whole foods they're crazy about, and they've been trying to get me to look at it. I've been very antsy about trying to trust that they'll keep feeding him how I've been. But today he brought up feeding him that kibble while I'm gone, and I urged him to keep feeding him raw. I told him to keep the receipts and I'd reimburse him. But I'm wondering about it, I mean he is doing me a huge favor by keeping my baby for a few months while I'm gone. Would it be really traumatic to his body to have kibble for a few months and then go back to raw when I get back? I would never compromise his health for the sake of anyone's convenience, so if someone more knowledgeable on the topic than I am can tell me whether it be a bad compromise, that would really help me make a decision.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '16 3:51am PST 
I would keep in mind that your friend is doing you a huge favor and feeding raw can be a lot of work. Some people don't have the time or the confidence to feed raw. Just know that your dog will probably get great care while your gone and that you can put him back on raw when you get back. Have fun on your trip.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don't Tread on- me

Barked: Thu Jun 30, '16 11:57pm PST 
I had to leave my cat with an anti-raw friend once. I gave her canned food to feed him twice a day, and while she had dry food out constantly as a temporary thing I was told it wouldn't be a big deal. That said, my cat was fed partial raw, the other half of his diet being canned.

Aside, I don't know that I'd trust someone else to feed my pets raw unless they're familiar with it and I think they'll do a good job.

Edited by author Thu Jun 30, '16 11:58pm PST

[notify]