GO!

Detox during beginning of Raw Food Change

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Brix

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 8:12am PST 
Hi!
We've recently put our dogs on a Raw Food diet, as they have allergies and frankly it's just much better for them than the kibble crap.

Since switching over, they've been rather lethargic. Sleeping a lot, and just very calm. Of course still excited to go for walks, but just lazier than usual.
I'm thinking this must be due to some detox process they are going through.
They are on Ground Chicken and Tripe for another week before we add anything new in, hoping for an easy changeover.

Any insight?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 9:45am PST 
I don't buy into "detox" in a general sense. True detox has a cause, and a related symptom. For example, a smoker quits, and begins coughing up phlegm.

A food change can certainly cause upset... I grew up on medium/well steak because that's what my mother cooked. When I realized I think eating medium/well steak is like chewing on an old shoe and as an adult, I do not have to eat it that way, I immediately switched to rare. And I felt absolutely terrible - not sick, just crappy. It wasn't food poisoning, I just wasn't used to eating that way.

So it could be something related to change, but not likely "detox."

Also possible that you're seeing an evening out of sugar/carb-induced energy spikes. Raw fed dogs have a lot of energy, but it's even stamina, not the hyperactive energy of a sugar rush.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 3:50pm PST 
Max was still plenty busy when he started raw but he seemed calmer. When the mailman invaded 6x a week he alerted us rather than screamed the sky is falling as he used to for instance. I suspect some dogs react poorly to a lot of carbs and he was one of them.

He is now on cooked food because every variation of partial or complete raw gives him a stomach ache all night long. I probably ought to see if there is a difference between feeding him meat, organ and potato/grain or meat, organ and low glycemic veggies like cabbage, zucchini and such. He would rather have the grains and potato, I know that!
[notify]