GO!

Salmonella Poisoning?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 2:57pm PST 
I'm assuming dogs can get salmonella poisoning from raw chicken... but what do you do if they get it? Is it an immediate vet visit or can they straighten it out themselves? Here's what I think happened.

I used to feed their chicken frozen (they've been on raw for years), but my older dog was acting like it was getting more difficult to chew, so I started thawing it. I was throwing a five pound bag of chicken in the fridge to thaw, figuring I was feeding it fast enough to not cause a problem. Now I'm wondering if that was an incorrect assumption.

So both of them have diarrhea and it's yellowish and liquid (it's not constant... one had an accident in the house this morning, but not sure which and I've seen them go once each outside since then this evening). One dog's was mucousy, but he passed a knuckle bone so not sure if it's related. They both act like they feel great, running around, chasing squirrels, playing, drinking, begging when I eat, etc. So do I fast them a day and feed pumpkin and see if it straightens out on it's own? Or do they need antibiotics? Do I just watch for fever and lethargy? I've never had this happen and I've been feeding them raw for years. I feel awful for making them sick. frown I know dogs can handle more bacteria than we can, but how do you know when they've had more than they can handle? By the way I'm throwing out the rest of what was thawed. I can start a new bag and not thaw the whole thing at once.

Any advice is appreciated.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 3:22pm PST 
A normally "healthy" dog should not be susceptible to salmonella.
Salmonella cannot survive in acids stronger than 3 (average human stomach pH), whereas a dog's stomach pH is around 1-2.

Salmonella also needs to be within the system around 48-72 hours before it is fully capable to inciting an infection. Raw fed dogs typically digest in around 8 hours, while kibble fed could be up to 24. Still not nearly long enough.

Having the chicken thawing for an extended period of time could
encourage bacterial growth of another kind, but not salmonella (Salmonella is also not killed by freezing, only cooking).

I'm with you on tossing that particular batch of chicken, just in case. Also keep an eye on any outside sources they may have attained food from. If it lasts 3 days, I would definitely seek out the advice of your vet with a stool sample.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 3:59pm PST 
Okay that's really good to know about the salmonella. I was wondering about outside sources because I have a four acre fenced in yard.. when I take them out I watch them like a hawk, but my husband will let them roam around at will and the male dog is a garbage disposal! He will eat anything! The female is normally very finicky though so I didn't think it could be something they ate out in the yard or they wouldn't both be sick. That's why I thought it was the chicken since that's the only thing they both eat. They are begging for supper like they are starving to death so I'm going to boil some chicken and rice. Only the female will eat pumpkin (I know she's the finicky one lol, they are weird). Should I try the pumpkin with her or let her have rice and chicken with him? I'll keep a close eye on them. They are acting totally normal right now though. smile
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 4:03pm PST 
The older female would probably be fine fasting until tomorrow, but the male throws up (regurgitates actually) bile if his stomach is empty too long. He's done that since he was a little puppy, even when he ate dog food, so I know it's unrelated... so should the boiled chicken and rice be okay?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 5:50pm PST 
Pumpkin and chicken for both of them. Unless you've been feeding grains over the years they've been on raw, you risk shocking their system with rice. It won't kill them, but it will easily make the upset worse.

Generally if meat has turned, you know it the second you open the bag. I get about 4 or 5 days out of thawed meat in the fridge, 7 if it was frozen solid when it went in. Salmonella from food wouldn't be my first concern either. I'd be more concerned about something like giardia, if it doesn't clear up in a couple days. Dogs do get stomach viruses, so hopefully it just passes.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 6:40pm PST 
Okay I will see if I can get fecals done tomorrow. Does Giardia show up on fecals? And where do they get it from? Does it take a special dewormer? Also does it cause sudden diarrhea like this or does it happen gradually? And both of them at the exact same time? Also my mom's dog is on the same property (although not the same house) and he's completely fine... he eats a different food though. Sorry I've never had a dog with giardia.... I've only ever had them get tapeworms or roundworms and I know how to treat for those. Can I give them dewormer while they have diarrhea or should I wait until it goes away? Sorry for all of the questions. They both ate chicken as happy as can be and they are acting completely normal, energetic and happy. I'll keep an eye on them and see how things are tomorrow.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 7:08pm PST 
Okay I did some research on giardia and if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow I will call the vet about testing/treating for it. I'm still thinking it was something in the chicken from being left in the fridge too long. Thanks for the information guys. I appreciate it.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 7:45am PST 
Gross. One of the dogs just vomited up a bunch of leaves and what looks like chicken skin. I'm beginning to think she buried some chicken from one of her meals (she's so bad about sneaking off to bury it and normally I watch her, but sometimes I can't) and that they found it again and ate it. They are both still acting fine. I'm going to feed some chicken from a fresh bag like I normally would and see how they handle it this morning...
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 8:02am PST 
This giardia thing has me totally freaked out... I'll admit I'm a major germ phobic and I have really bad anxiety problems... I'm afraid to even touch my dogs because people can get giardia... how likely is it to get it from a dog? I don't let me dogs sleep on the furniture or lick me. As you can guess I'm obsessive about washing hands and cleaning things. The things I'm reading about giardia is that it's hard to diagnose and difficult to treat due to resistances that are developing... also that most animals and a lot of humans already have it.... I need some reassurance here. I've tried calling my vet, but they must be shorthanded because they don't answer and haven't called back.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 6:57am PST 
Bump
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2