GO!

How much bone?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Waffles

Can I take a nap- now?

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 10:34pm PST 
Thank you!

What kinds of bony bits do you think would help his teeth? It's only been just over a week, but his poops have been better over the last few days. If he's okay after another week, I'd like to start introducing more variety.

I have seen Chance's website, but thank you for the link smile
[notify]
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 12:18am PST 
Something he has to work on for a while.

Ginger gets lamb rib racks that sometimes gets eaten and sometimes there is leftover bone. No I am not rich, they are mostly bone sold in a big box and very cheap. Since she only gets 5 ounces of food a day even a mostly bone 7 ounce bit is still plenty of meat for her, maybe 4 ounces. She also gets beef ribs on special occasions. She hasn't had turkey bone, whole pork neck or pig feet yet but loved pork leg bones from a huge pork shoulder roast.

It was a gradual process. I noticed white on the top part of the teeth on one side after a month then next time she got a big bony bit a completely clean tooth. Happened on the bottom tooth of that side the following month then top tooth on the other side the same way month after that. Meaty stuff is better, the canines will stay dirty unless you can feed something they get to dig into. I would love to give her more big bony bits but she is very efficient at eating bone and I don't want to overload her with calcium and phosphorus.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 7:00am PST 
Bump
[notify]

Waffles

Can I take a nap- now?

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 3:03pm PST 
Thank you for all the info smile

Regarding pork leg bones/shoulder/feet, I was under the impression that I was not to feed the dense weight-bearing bones? Or is that only true for beef?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 5:12pm PST 
Pretty much only beef. Moose, elk if you get any. Older animals will have tougher bones, even chicken! Remember a slaughtered cow is going to be about a year old and 1000 pounds where a pig is more like 300 pounds and 9 months when slaughtered.

Do watch how the dog attacks the bone though. Max was not fed beef rib bones for years as he thought all bones offered him were to be crunched up same as chicken bones. Many people seem to safely feed beef leg bones as their dogs strip the meat off but even grinding is dangerous for teeth.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2