GO!

How much bone?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Waffles

Can I take a nap- now?

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 8:11pm PST 
Hi! I just started Waffles on prey model a few days ago. I gave him a chicken leg quarter and he loves it! However, he's only six and a half pounds, which causes some issues. Since he's only eating about two ounces a day, he hasn't gotten any bone yet, so he's had some runny poops. How can I make sure he gets enough bone to prevent it? I'm afraid of giving him anything too small, since he has never chewed his food before.

That leads to my real question: how much bone is in leg quarters and stuff? How can I calculate the meat/organ/bone ratio in the future? I have no idea how to go about this red face
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Dec 26, '13 7:38am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Harley

Mommy. Mommy!- Whatcya doin'- Mommy?!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 6:26am PST 
He's about the size my cats were when I started them on it. Without complicating it too much, I would suggest getting Cornish hens to start and give him the whole thing over the course of a couple days. Since this will be a whole prey (organs in the little baggy and all) you will be really close to a complete meal. Cornish hens are great for learning to eat bones!
[notify]

Waffles

Can I take a nap- now?

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 6:48pm PST 
Thanks for the tip! The Cornish hens and quail here are all gutted though, for some reason. Even the ones at the Asian market have "part missing." What organs can I use to replace them? Liver, gizzards, and heart and the only chicken organs I have seen at the market.
[notify]
Bruce

Here's BRUCEEE

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 7:18pm PST 
Hi there, do you have a local meat supplier? You might find some good quality meat/bone/offal at better prices there.
[notify]
Waffles

Can I take a nap- now?

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 4:13pm PST 
Thanks for the tip! The Cornish hens and quail here are all gutted though, for some reason. Even the ones at the Asian market have "part missing." What organs can I use to replace them? Liver, gizzards, and heart and the only chicken organs I have seen at the market.
[notify]
Waffles

Can I take a nap- now?

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 5:32pm PST 
That's weird, I didn't post that a second time.

I've been hunting for a butcher or a meat market near me, so I'm hoping I'll be able to find one with a good selection of inexpensive cuts. Organs as well, since I've found that the selection of secreting organ is still pretty limited. I just picked up some chicken feet from 99 ranch, I'm hoping that will help with any runny poop.
[notify]
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 6:51pm PST 
For right now gutted is great, you would be putting the organs away for later anyway. CGH is a great idea for small dogs. You could also be cutting chicken breast apart into appropriately sized bits or even cutting chicken wings apart or even feeding necks.

Love the chicken feet, glad you found them. Feed some meat alongside them to make up the ounces needed daily.

I have been super lucky with 16 pound Ginger. I can now give her a big bit of bone and no more for 4 days. Makes the bone thing much easier!
[notify]
Waffles

Can I take a nap- now?

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 12:52am PST 
I think I will definitely be picking up game hens then. I also found some "jumbo" quail: six of them weighed less than two pounds. Cute! big grin

That sounds much easier! Though I think we'll have to stick to feeding bonier bits for now, to help clean Waffles's teeth (they're really bad) and to prevent runny poop. How long have you been feeding Ginger raw? What does she eat?
[notify]
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 7:48am PST 
Ginger's teeth were yellow/gray/brown when she came here and took a really long time to clean up. One carnassial is still in pretty yucky shape as there is some gum damage and it seems to hurt to chew on that side so she may end up getting a dental. Chicken is unlikely to do a whole lot for teeth as it goes down quick but you never know. She did have improvement in a month but it was only when she got to eat more challenging bony stuff that the gunk came off.

She is now on anything, beef/pork/ostrich/turkey/fish, and usually eats lamb bony chunks a couple times a week where Max gets a side of chicken ribs daily. She came here only 5 months ago and took to raw like a real carnivore although she also adores rotten apples, celery, oatmeal, anything that drops on the floor, etc.

She started on raw bits of bone in chicken breast that were skinned plus carefully weighed out cooked chicken for treats but rapidly moved to other meats and organs as her poop not only stayed firm she only poops a couple times a week. It averages out over 4 days rather than 1. First she got 2 bits of bony chicken a day then moved to 1 plus boneless meat then started replacing some of the meat with organ. I still feed her twice a day as she is less reactive during walks if there is something in her stomach. It isn't easy feeding such tiny portions as you don't want the dog to decide swallowing unchomped is a good idea! I lucked out and she isn't a gulper.

Have you seen Chance's webpage? She wrote up much of the collective Dogster wisdom all neat and tidy for us.
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2