GO!

New Raw Diet Causing Hot Spot?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Layla

Barked: Sat Nov 16, '13 7:35pm PST 
Hi everyone,

Today is the 11th day on raw diet for my malamute. She's mostly been getting chicken and hasn't had issues. She's had turkey for two meals and pork for one; all the rest have been some form of chicken

Tonight I came home and she has a hot spot. This is the first one she's ever had. I'm pretty positive she doesn't have a chicken allergy because chicken is the primary ingredient of the kibble she was on and I'd read allergies would present in any form, so a chicken allergy would've shown in kibble too.

So 1) Could one or two meals cause THAT much of an allergic reaction to give her a hot spot?

2) Her kibble did have grain in it. Now that she's been on raw, she doesn't have grain in her meat (obviously). But she's had some small table scraps here and there too. If she's been used to grain would she suddenly develop a reaction to it?

I suppose it could just be coincidence that she's got her first ever one during the first two weeks of the diet change but I feel so bad for her. My lab had them sometimes and they're awful but a malamute looks really bad with a bald spot!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:24am PST 
Before you see a hot spot there has been biting and licking. Did you see her biting at the spot before you discovered the hot spot? Raymond could open one up in a single hour, Sassy could take days but they basically licked/bit the itchy area until it broke open. Sassy was sneaky and could lick her skin raw but the fur hid the spot. Don't know how she managed that.

It could be the grainy treat. Max always ate kibble with rice in it and had NB roll with wheat with slightly goopy eyes that I blamed on needing a bath. After he was on raw mostly the eye stuff was gone but a big grainy treat would make for huge eye boogers.

It could be a single meal of something that bothers him. Are you sure the turkey and pork weren't enhanced? Usually it causes tummy upset more than skin irritation but perhaps the discomfort comes out that way sometimes.

Fleas? It is natural to suspect something new to be the cause of a hot spot but Sassy's were always fleas. If I had started feeding Sassy her home cooked diet and that was right when her first hot spot occurred I certainly would have thought the food was the reason for the hot spot. She had reacted to fleas with lots of biting and dandruff since we had her but until she was about 14 years old managed okay with just flea drops. After that nothing helped so we went to an allergy medicine. If your dog does have a flea allergy and you add something that bothers her on top of that she very well could have a full blown allergy attack.

Edited by author Sun Nov 17, '13 10:24am PST

[notify]
Layla

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:58am PST 
I didn't see her licking or biting at all; I wasn't home. I came home and saw it.

Definitely not fleas. She's on preventative and I haven't seem any fleas or flea dirt.

The only thing that's changed has been diet - but I don't know what in the diet specifically could be causing this! It just seems so strange that a tiny amount of food could have caused THAT much of a reaction.

Yes I know that hot spots are caused by licking or biting. I'm asking what could have caused that to happen.
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 3:08pm PST 
Where is the hot spot? Location may offer a clue as to the trigger.
[notify]
Layla

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 5:30pm PST 
On her hip, almost where the hip bone is. If she lays on her side curled up the hot spot would not be touching the ground. It's a little above the part that would be touching the ground.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 3:08am PST 
bump
[notify]
Layla

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 9:09am PST 
I answered that in my last post. It's high on her hip, near where the joint is. If she curls up on the floor it would not be touching the floor, it's above that.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 9:31am PST 
That is exactly where Sassy got hot spots. Max is the only dog I have had with food issues and he gets goopy eyes and ears when something disagrees with him so I don't know where the itch from a food allergy is most likely to attack. Since she has flea allergy she already has the habit of going there when she feels uncomfortable perhaps that is where a food allergy itch would start out for her.

Guess this is why we suggest feeding a new protein for a whole week. Allergies rarely crop up but now you need to go back to plain chicken to see if things improve then start turkey for a whole week then try pork again. If you are concerned about losing ground then go back to chicken and start adding in the little bit of liver raw fed dogs need instead of moving to another protein. Take out some bone if poop gets too firm or even better if you could find lots of chicken heart and gizzard the diet would be pretty decent.

Still think this is fleas though. I hate fleas. I hate fleas a lot.
[notify]
Layla

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 4:43pm PST 
Thank you both for your help!

I'm positive it isn't fleas. IF it turns out to be fleas I'll eat a Package of raw chicken feet myself!

We're back to chicken for now.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 6:25am PST 
That does sound flea-ish. For some dogs all it takes is one bite to have a reaction. So you may not have an infestation. She may have been bit by one flea out in the yard, and is reacting to that. As long as this hot spot heals and she doesn't get any more, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I've seen dogs with anal gland troubles chew hotspots there as well, but usually only if they can't twist far enough around to chew the base of their tail. Obviously I don't know how flexible she is. Anal gland irritation can follow a diet change. If her poop has all been super small, for instance, she may not be expressing them naturally. A little fiber would fix that, if it is the issue.
[notify]