GO!

New to raw - Detox or bigger stomach issue?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Mon Nov 11, '13 6:54pm PST 
Hi everyone,

Your forum is great! I've learned a lot.

This Tuesday i switched my malamute to raw, cold turkey. There were no issues until today, 6 days after starting.

I've kept her on chicken all week - at one point or another she's had backs, thighs or quarters. Her poop has been normal the whole time (smaller though!)

Last night she ate a chicken quarter around 9PM. This morning (close to 11) she ate grass in the yard and vomited it. All that came up was grass and foam. She also pooped this morning, again normal. After she threw up she ran around the yard with a ball and acted completely normal and happy. We went into the house and she begged for food. I cut meat off of a chicken quarter and gave it to her. No bones or fat or skin, just meat. She ate it and wanted more but I didn't give it to her.

She acted relatively normal all day, including going on a walk and was her normal self. But at a little before 8 this evening she regurgitated up the chicken from this morning. It wasn't digested at all. Now she's acting a little blah.

She's drank water and kept It down. I watch her eat at every meal and she chews her bones thoroughly. However in July she swallowed a toy and needed obstruction removal surgery which makes me VERY paranoid about it happening again. I've been home with her and I'm 99% sure she didn't ingest anything she shouldn't have. All toys are accounted for and she isn't the type to eat socks or towels.

She's still interested in food but I didn't give her dinner to let her stomach rest. I've read that raw takes 6 hours to digest so I'm
assuming that her poops this morning were the food from last night.

But my question(s) are:

1) if she is detoxing, when does it start? This is 6 days on raw.
2) When I give her food tomorrow, should I give her more chicken? I hate to go back to kibble.
3) Is vomiting/regurgitating a typical part of certain detoxes? I know every dog is different but most people discuss skin problems and not stomach problems.
4) How do you guys decide what is "typical" getting dog used to new diet compared to something wrong?
5) If the dog is chewing and crunching their bones have you ever heard of a dog get an obstruction from a raw chicken bone? I heard they were the softest and easiest to first.

Thanks in advance for any advice!! I switched her to try and help her wellbeing, not make her sick frown

Edited by author Mon Nov 11, '13 6:59pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Nov 12, '13 3:29am PST 
bump
[notify]
Layla

Barked: Tue Nov 12, '13 7:52am PST 
...anybody? Please?
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Nov 13, '13 2:58am PST 
bumping up
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Nov 13, '13 7:50pm PST 
Bumping to drown spambots

Edited by author Wed Nov 13, '13 7:53pm PST

[notify]
Layla

Barked: Wed Nov 13, '13 10:14pm PST 
Well, I'm not too hopeful of getting a response at this point.

But she's doing completely better. The day after her sickness, she pooped the end of the drumstick, that little knobby piece. It was part of the chicken quarter. That was 40 hours or so after she ate the quarter so I'm guessing that tip is what irritated her stomach.

I'm still interested in answers to the questions though!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 7:17am PST 
Sorry nobody had any information or similar stories to tell. I can only relate to half this story. Max cannot digest cooked cartilage and after a few days it comes back out the way it went in after a short stomach ache. If this happens near a meal he wisely will refuse to eat but until it is ready to be rejected he acts normally and eats and poops as usual. Been a while since I have even seen it as I finally figured it out and he doesn't get cooked cartilage any more! My dogs have never regurgitated meat after several hours that looked untouched. It almost seems it never reached the stomach but that would be uncomfortable I would think.

My dogs had weird poop when transitioning to raw but that was it. I cannot blame Ginger's shedding on raw as she was in a new house. Her dandruff was likely shedding sick flea ridden skin.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 2:59pm PST 
Sorry I'm not on Dogster much anymore... Wish I could have answered when you posted.

1) if she is detoxing, when does it start? This is 6 days on raw.
3) Is vomiting/regurgitating a typical part of certain detoxes? I know every dog is different but most people discuss skin problems and not stomach problems.

Kinda an individual issue... But for the most part I do not buy into the idea of "detox." My current dogs have both eaten only raw food for the past 4 years. If I give them kibble tomorrow, they will have the same symptoms typically blamed on "detox" when a dog starts raw. It's certainly not because kibble is healthier than raw.

4) How do you guys decide what is "typical" getting dog used to new diet compared to something wrong?

Mostly severity, and common sense regarding the source of the problem. Loose poop without urgency for a few days is probably diet change. Urgent, projectile diarrhea for a week is a big problem.

One of the reasons I hate the detox myth is that it becomes a catch-all for every problem a newly raw-fed dog has, even if that problem is completely unrelated to diet in any way. I have seen things like ulcerated corneas, for example, blamed on detox.

Bottom line is any ongoing problem needs to be addressed by a vet, whether it's diet-related or not.

2) When I give her food tomorrow, should I give her more chicken? I hate to go back to kibble.

The issue is resolved for now, but for future reference... When a raw-fed dog needs a bland diet due to stomach upset, use low-fat, boiled meat and a pureed, fibrous filler like pumpkin or sweet potato. Many raw-fed dogs get so used to grain-free that they can't digest grain at all, so a typical bland diet of chicken and rice does more harm than good (as I can attest to, having mistakenly given it to my first raw-fed dog only to have whole, undigested rice coming out both ends for the next 24 hours).

5) If the dog is chewing and crunching their bones have you ever heard of a dog get an obstruction from a raw chicken bone? I heard they were the softest and easiest to first.

Yes, although it's difficult to do. I was going to suggest that this was the problem, though, and the vomited chicken drum end follows with that theory.

It's not so much an obstruction in the sense that a sock or toy would form an obstruction... The dog has just eaten something too large to pass. When a dog eats too much bone overall, they stop digesting it fully, get extremely constipated, and frequently vomit bits of undigested bone. If they continue eating high amounts of bone, and can not manage to pass the hard stool already building up in their colon, an impaction can form which will require surgery to correct.

I have heard of bone impaction in dogs with diets that were primarily chicken wings and backs, for instance. Very, very bony items. It's difficult to do, and I doubt you were close to that, but it's worth keeping an eye on. A diet of primarily bone-in chicken is going to be very high in bone, so I would back off a bit and get some more meaty meat in there.
[notify]