GO!

Switching over a pregnant dog?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

♥Harl- ey - CGC- SDIT

The ultimate- oversized lap- dog

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 1:34am PST 
Well feeding raw has become my new obsession. Although I haven't started yet, But I bought A LOT of meat and a great grinder a cleaver some new stainless steal bowls for easy sanitizing etc. But I want to finish off the dog food I have right now. Ive been talking about it with my best friend and she had a dog that is pregnant. And wants to take the plunge with me with her 3 dogs. Although she is afraid switching diets might impact or stunt the growth of he pups and the health of the mommy. The momma is about 5-6 weeks along. Would changing the diet be harmful to the mother or pups?
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:34pm PST 
Hoping that someone else can come and chime in here, since we've been having a lot of unknowledgable troll accounts as of late.

All I can say is that I believe the fat and calorie content needs to be higher. Some people recommend giving raw goat's milk to pregnant dogs and young pups, regardless of if they're on a raw or kibble based diet. I'm guessing that's because of the fat/calorie content, and it's fairly easy to digest.

As for raw, she probably needs to figure out how much more to feed percentage wise (I think 25% more an additional 25% for each pup). I would also choose not to trim any of the fat, as that'll help with fat and calorie content.

Edited by author Mon Jul 15, '13 7:36pm PST

[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:40am PST 
I've heard good things about raw diets. That's all I'm going to say.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 9:30am PST 
I wouldn't switch a pregnant or nursing dog to raw without a mentor experienced in #1 feeding raw, #2 breeding dogs and #3 switching dogs to talk to. There is just too much going on. Wait until puppies are out and weaned then switch. That would only be in a few months time and give time to research, form a plan and get the supplies together.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:19pm PST 
I agree with Maxwell. This isn't the ideal time for a switch...too much happening and too much at stake should the switch not go perfectly well.
[notify]
Kayla

The Ultimate- Watchdog

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 2:13am PST 
I wouldn't feed a pregnant dog on raw meat. That sounds like a very bad idea.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 8:03pm PST 
I agree with Maxwell. I would just wait until she has whelped the pups and maybe even after she has weaned them. It's just such a delicate time for a dog and sometimes they don't transition well.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 11:46am PST 
Like others have said it's not ideal to switch now.

Kayla there are dog breeders who do feed raw and never switch to kibble while mom is pregnant. It's not bad for a pregnant dog, but if dog has been on kibble and now pregnant it isn't good to change diet like that.
[notify]
♥Harl- ey - CGC- SDIT

The ultimate- oversized lap- dog

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 9:35pm PST 
Thanks guys should I tell her to wait until they are born or weaned?
[notify]