GO!

Mom is thinking of switching to the raw diet for me. Is there anything we should know or any tips?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mr.Maxy

No Pet Motto

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 6:18pm PST 
Thank you for all the help. I just need to know more about this so Mommy can be sure she's doing the right thing for me. Thanks! laugh out loud

Love,

Max
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:37am PST 
Hank thrives on raw, his coat is super shiny, he's got great muscle tone, clean white teeth and much, much smaller stools and less frequent as well!

Diet will need to be 80-10-10, 80% meat, 10% organ (liver, kidney' pancreas, spleen etc) and 10% bone. You feed 2-3% of their body weight per day. Hanks eats a pound day. I started him on raw at 10 weeks old (he'll be 6 months in a few days) I started with chicken and worked up to beef, pork, organs etc. the most common food I buy for him are beef, pork, liver, kidneys, chicken gizzards/hearts and occasionally salmon. Hanks not a huge fan of chicken so he mostly eats pork bone. Hope this helps...
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 12:58pm PST 
I would highly recommend reading through Chance's Beginner's Guide to Prey Model Raw PDF. Raw is a fantastic option for most dogs, but it does take some time and effort to make sure you're feeding a balanced diet. It's more work and often more expensive than kibble, and you need to be able to provide a variety of proteins, liver and at least one other secreting organ, and edible bone.
[notify]