GO!

Raw Diet Food Frequency

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 4:40pm PST 
If u r going to feed 2 or 3 meals do one as early in the morning as possible and one as late in the evening as possible so his stomach doesn't get empty. I feed sandy at 6am, noon,6pm, and midnight but if u were doing 2meals maybe do 7am and 10 pm.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 5:27pm PST 
Hi. Your dog just has hunger barfs which can easily be fixed by giving half of his allotted amount in the morning and half in the evening. The diarrhea is from changing and also from not having any bone. It is really important, especially if you want firmer stools to give your dog bone. You can use eggshell as a subsitute until you get a grinder, get the butcher to do it or feel comfortable enough to let him eat a raw chicken bone like he is supposed to. Remember it is 80% meat 10% BONE 5% liver and 5%other secreting organ.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 9:45pm PST 
I strongly suggest reading Chance's page on feeding raw. Just meat and chicken meat at that is a very poor diet and your chances for success are low. Raw feeders that have to feed just chicken report stinky and greasy skin and teeth get dirty again. Bone is the bulk for a raw fed dog and his stool is unlikely to get firm without any bulk.
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/uploads/7/6/9/2/7692088/b eginners_guide_to_prey_model_raw_rv.6.pdf

As well as using bone meal or egg shell for calcium you need to add pureed veggies for stool bulk. If you are that concerned with minimizing diet changes try a single veggie, perhaps zucchini or canned pumpkin at a rate of 25% veggie to 75% meat. Use 1/2 tsp of powdered egg shell per pound of meat fed or 900mg of actual calcium from bone meal.

I wasn't a fan of thigh or drumstick bones either. Max did very nicely on backs and ribs at first though. Try taking the keel bone out of chicken breast and let him learn to chew. Make sure the piece is huge as his mouth is much larger than his throat as you well know. Some even give a whole chicken and trade the dog for a small treat once an estimated amount has been eaten. Pretty sure even a bulldog cannot swallow a whole chicken in a gulp!
[notify]

Stout

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:30am PST 
Thanks everyone for the continued responses. I'll supplement Stout's diet with some egg shells until I get a grinder. Question: I've seen a lot of good feedback regarding the Same Baere 500 grinder, yet I cannot find anywhere online that sells it. I've done a few google searches all of which result in nothing. Does anyone have a lead on places that sell these? Or perhaps is there a substitute grinder that also does the trick?

Thanks!
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 4:37pm PST 
Hank learned how to eat bone with chicken legs. I had to cut off most of the meat and he gnawed on it like he would his elk antler, each time I left more and more meat on it. Now he's up to eating beef ribs as his bone and loves it!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 5:46pm PST 
That's probably why you have loose poop. Bone is needed to keep poop firm.

I never owned a English bulldog so I don't know how they do eating wise..

there is one or two raw English bulldog owners here so maybe they can help with things.

grinder is good if need to make home ground food..

eggs shells might help with firming plus getting some calcium, but maybe hold off on eggs itself till poop is firmed up.

Caned or cooked pumpkin might help firm poop up too.

Bella our boxer eats chicken quarters fine, but her snout isn't smooshed so I dunno..
[notify]
Barbaro

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:43pm PST 
Just wanted to give you a little info about my dog. He is an almost 3 year old dalmatian who I started on the raw diet a few months ago. He suffered from loose stool in the beginning too. I was so nervous about giving him bone but once I started he began to do great. I give him 1/2 a whole chicken once a day. He isn't a vomiter so I find he does great on just once a day. He also cannot have other types of meats because dalmatians can't eat high purine foods. I do not grind the bone he eats it whole without an issue. The bone is soft enough so he can chew. I also give him acidophilus once a day to help.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2