GO!

Starting in the Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 8:15am PST 
I've been reading up on the raw diet (thank you "So You're Interested in Feeding Raw" thread), finding suppliers in my area, and doing the math...

According to the Personal Raw Feeding Guide, both Cobain and Rigby are around the same in their needs. Approximately 0.5 lbs each per day.

Now it's been a while since I have fed a proper raw diet, and when I did it was grocery store purchased.

In my area there are 2 suppliers:
Heronview http://www.heronviewrawandnatural.com/heronview-price-list
Country Lane: http://clpr.ca/Country Lane Website iWeb/Raw Food Orijen_files/RawPricelistDecember2012_R6_distributed.pdf

I train at Country Lane on Mondays, and while their stock isn't as diverse as Heronview's they do seem to be a bit cheaper. On top of that, I do not have a ton of freezer space, so a weekly pick up would work better for me that way.

My preference is beef and other "red" meats (aside from pork) over poultry just as in the past Cobain has had some sensitivity to chicken. Whether that translates to raw or not I am unsure. as well as Rigby tends to eat things without chewing and I am slightly concerned about her choking on the smaller bones.
As for pork, Cobain fell extremely ill about a year and a half ago after eating a pork hock. Not sure if that was the cause, but I am slightly nervous about it.

It seems that Country Lane is more geared toward frozen ground patties. I'm wondering if they are still as beneficial as full carcass portions. And those that have bone in the ground, if that counts as "bone" or should bone be included as a separate?

I'm attempting to work out some sort of tentative feeding plan to price out whether or not this form of feeding will be within our price range.

At a quick glance I wrote out:
Ground Beef $1.60/lb
Ground Organ $1.70/lb
Chicken Neck (because I am unsure of the bone in patties) $1.50/lb

With the 80-10-10 proportions, I got that to work out to be around $1.60 per day, or just over $11 per week. Which would be around what we are paying now for the kibble - if not a little less.

But, with me being new to this, would that even be appropriate? If it is, are there any supplements that I should add?

There's also the protein blend at the bottom of their price list which seems intriguing, if anyone knows anything about that.

I know, I should give them a call and ask these questions. But I'd like a few outside opinions before I get myself talked into buying things. As well as I just purchased a bag of kibble not too long ago so I have some time before taking the plunge there.

Edited by author Tue May 21, '13 8:16am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 11:10am PST 
Bone is bone, doesn't matter if it is ground or beef or chicken or goose. It is better if not ground for teeth cleaning and the only way you can adjust the diet is to feed more or less which may or may not help. Loose stool is caused by too much fat, not enough bone or too much organ and if you feed grinds you cannot compensate by pulling off skin, trimming fat, using a bonier bit and such.

Contact the supplier to find out how much of what is in the grinds. I like those prices too and would want to use the company's products. I would not buy the lamb with bone chunks. Ground is safe and big is safe but chunks are not safe!
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 11:39am PST 
Thanks Maxwell!

I'll definitely pass on the chunks then.

According to their site, the shaved beef and bone has variable ratios per bag. I'm not entirely sure I like the sounds of that.

The patties are beef, beef heart, and lamb bone - inquiring about the ratios for that one now.

Knowing my luck, the patties wont work for Cobain and I'll have to go to purchasing full pieces.
[notify]

Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 11:46am PST 
Hank is 100% raw and I just make a weekly trip to the grocery store and buy chicken legs, grounds beef, chicken hearts/gizzards, liver or kidneys and something rich in omega like canned tuna, salmon, sardines etc. I also spend between $10-$12 a week.
[notify]
Dozer

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 1:17pm PST 
Sorry Hank, not 100% raw if you are buying canned tuna or salmon or whatever. Canned fish is cooked, plus they add sodium to preserve it, too.
[notify]
Kiki The- Concerned- Pug

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 1:32pm PST 
I actually just poke a hole in a liquid fish oil pill and squirt it on Kiki's food. A nice little pre-portioned bit of omega 3.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 5:00am PST 
If you are concerned about teeth on patties, incorporate a frozen beef rib into the diet once a week, under supervision. Chicken necks are no good really for teeth with a dog of that size. Lamb neck/shank are also great cleaners if you can get your hands on them, and a good meaty meal as well.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 5:34am PST 
Okay that works quite well actually JT, thanks!

If they do end up doing well with this particular food that I've outlined, is variety a necessity? Or would it be alright if things got changed up on just an occasional basis?

The proportions the food comes in might either not last me the week (the shaved beef I don't think will), or last me over a week. Or they might be perfect, but I wont know until I get started.
I work at a grocery store so I can get different meats relatively easy, it's just a bit more pricey.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 7:30am PST 
Folks generally recommend a three protein minimum. I do beef mainly, with chicken, lamb and pork as I get it. I do add some kibble, canned food and table scraps sometimes. The patties with the occasional piece of chicken or lamb should be okay, but make sure to add some sardine or fish oil if the beef isn't grass fed for omega oils. You can use eggs too. Lamb hearts are great for red meat variety on a beef diet.

Just try to make sure at least half the diet is red meats is the guideline I've always been told, that's the healthiest way to go.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 7:49am PST 
I definitely plan on adding some fish into the mix whether it be fresh, canned, or through just oil. Cobain's coat just glows when he's on fish based kibble, so I'd love to see what frequent fresh will give him.

We found a few months back that Cobain (Mr. Picky) really enjoys raw fish, although Rigby (Garbage Disposal) wont even touch it laugh out loud

Ideally I'd like to stick to as much beef as possible, and lamb when we find it for a good price.
[notify]