GO!

Housebreaking and raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Terry

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 8:19am PST 
Terry seems to go on inconsistent schedule or i just haven't noted it down completely. right now i know he goes right after eating,i think at morning and night. but then sometimes he goes in the early morning before eating.

at night i feed him usually from 6 to 10. Then next morning he goes before eating,early or just after eating.

I am lost really at when should i take him out,because he goes at many different times. but only twice a day. maybe three.

suggestions? i post this here because i know raw fed dogs go at distinct rates than kibble fed.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 11:35am PST 
You kinda just have to watch him and learn. Kibble is actually easier in this regard, because it's the exact same thing every time. Same would happen if you stuck to a specific premade raw.

My girls go depending on when and what they ate. For instance, today they haven't gone at all because I stayed late at my parent's house last night and ended up feeding them raw trimmings from our dinners with leftover potatoes and some beef heart I grabbed on sale from the store when I stopped in. Yesterday they went first thing in the morning, then twice again in the afternoon because the day before they had bone-y meal earlier in the day.

So, feeding at the exact same time(s) every day will help you get on a schedule, as well as keeping meals stable in terms of bone/meat content.

Also depends on what they're doing. Exercise gets things moving, and can help get them to go if you need them to.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 10:12pm PST 
hang some jingle bells from the door that you let him out of. Down far enough that he can reach. Teach him to hit the bells with his nose or paw when he needs to go out. I just let my dogs out when ever they needed to go, I don't have any idea if they are on a schedule or not. Puppies have to go more then dogs.

Good luck
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:17am PST 
I was laughing at the jingle bells, but yeah, that works. It lets you know when your dog has gone out, provided that he has the initiative to step out of the house when peeing or pooing. Anyway, dogs tend to go do their business on three occasions (usually): after sleeping, after eating and after playing. However, that doesn't mean that those are the only times he will have to go.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 1:05pm PST 
Hank is 4 months old. He eats 3x a day and goes out after each meal, first thing in the morning, before bed and any times he looks to be sniffing around or hanging by the back door....
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:48am PST 
We don't have a doggy door, that's crazy in Alaska! We use the bells to let us know when he needs to go outside so WE can open the door. With a house full of kids, sometimes you miss the subtle signals some dogs give.

Crash loves going outside, and sometimes goes out for no reason at all.

When pups are small, we would use their paw to ring the bells, then take pup outside to go potty. Pretty soon they associate the bells with the opening door to go outside. Some dogs take longer then others to train.

Best of luck to you.
[notify]