GO!

So, what do you do for feeding arrangements when leaving the dog with someone else?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 7:59pm PST 
This is more of a conversation thing than anything. It's not a question. I just made arrangements for Treader's meals when I leave to visit a relative soon.

I believe some in the past have mentioned preparing meals and labeling the bags for the person caring for their dog so they know what to feed and on what day.

I wish I could do that, but personally I don't feel comfortable with someone else who doesn't know much about raw, feeding Treader raw while I'm not there. Not for more than one meal anyway. Preparing the meals would work, but I'm not sure I could trust them to always supervise him or to know what to do in the event something does go wrong.

So I bought two 4 lb bags of Nature's Variety Instinct with raw boost...$42 frickin' bucks for only 8 lbs. The things I do for my dog. laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Mar 30, '13 7:59pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 8:13pm PST 
I feed the Stella and chewys frozen patties so they would be easy for anyone to feed. I use the freeze dried patties when we r away from home. They r very convenient.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 8:33pm PST 
If it's an immediate family member caring for him, I make up bags of food, label them with days of the week, and instruct them to thaw each bag in the fridge a day before feeding.

Generally if it's a pet sitter, I use ZiwiPeak instead. It can be fed like regular kibble, so it's easy for anyone familiar with dogs to do.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 12:42pm PST 
I carefully packed up easy meals for him and had the caregiver feed him with me present twice. Max did not do well in spite of all that and was throwing up so ate canned food while we were gone. Grrh.

Now I have ground stuff in the freezer and I would just have the caregiver use that.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 12:50pm PST 
I do bags with pre-made meals. If I didn't trust someone to handle a problem with something as simple as a pre-made dinner, I wouldn't leave my dog with them.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 4:40pm PST 
I separate the meat into portions and place them in ziplock bags, one bag for each meal. I just label the day and what meal to feed them like breakfast, dinner....
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 6:17pm PST 
It depends on who I'm having watch the pets. If it's my regular sitter, I will leave pre-bagged raw meals in the fridge, as well as some cans of food, some Honest Kitchen and some commercially bought raw (like Stella & Chewy's or Primal) if I happen to have that around. I leave instructions on how much everyone gets of all the foods and let him pick whatever he feels like feeding. I give my pets a wide variety and I want that variety maintained while I'm gone. And I trust Joe to be able to handle all that.

If it's someone else who is little less familiar with my weird feeding regime, I will lay out cans of food for the morning meal and commercially bought raw for the evening meal.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 11:05am PST 
I just have Farley on kibble when I leave him with someone else. I don't really trust anyone else to raw feed him without me being around, and he does just fine on dry food anyway. I usually use Acana and Orijen.
[notify]