GO!

If allergic to Chicken can I feed Duck?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mack

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 2:31pm PST 
Hello everyone... Wondering what others experience has been with chicken allergy. Mack is allergic to chicken in kibble form. I have not tried to give him raw chicken (I think some say just because they are allergic to kibble they might be able to eat raw). I was going to feed him duck and turkey, but i am wondering if it is likely he will be allergic to these since its in the poultry family. Thanks for any responses!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 2:52pm PST 
Duck isn't closely related to chicken and does sound like a reasonable meat to start with. Check prices in your area, rabbit is also a lean mild protein with easily edible bone.

I would take off every bit of skin for the first couple of days as duck skin is super fatty and too much fat often causes unplanned potty trips. If that goes well then leave a small amount on for the next couple days and so on. Fat is great but this is big enough change as is without complicating things.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 2:56pm PST 
Sandy is allergic to chicken and my vet said no duck no turkey no anything with feathers and no eggs!
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 3:02pm PST 
Sounds like sally has a poultry allergy not just chicken.

But i've heard of similar things. Avoid chicken eggs too.

You coudl try the duck. I introduced sweetie to raw using pork. Which jake can't eat raw do to allergies but he can eat it cooked.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 6:18pm PST 
My Shepherd was allergic to chicken and turkey whether raw or kibble, and she had a reaction to a duck kibble but was ok with raw duck.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:15pm PST 
I feel like the safest thing to do is avoid all poultry and eggs and try a different protein like venison, fish, rabbit, beef, lamb. Sandy loves venison the best!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 6:09pm PST 
Duke is highly allergic to chicken.

He tolerates duck and turkey just fine.
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 9:04pm PST 
Lacey had a nutriscan test, which tests for allergies to about 12 common dog food items. Showed reactions to chicken and turkey; vet said avoid duck to be safe. Eggs came back okay.
[notify]