GO!

New Edible Bone Source?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 4:46pm PST 
I am looking for suggestions for a new edible bone source. As of now, the only edible bone that my dog gets are chicken thighs. For awhile, there was no problem with his poop, and he had the skin on. Now, I'm noticing the pattern of the days he has those that his poop is VERY runny, eating two thighs, no skin. This is not too much food for him, as he currently only gets 1.5% of his weight.

So, any suggestions for edible bone sources to feed him regularly? I have thought about maybe trying chicken quarters, as they are more bony. I'm just lost because on the days with no bone, the poop is fine.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 6:29pm PST 
Good observing! Could you give an example of an average weekly diet? Quarters probably have more bone than just the thigh but wouldn't be that big a difference.

Max mostly gets chicken bone for his bone. This week Max fed through the back, ribs and neck of a whole chicken along with a big boneless beef roast and a tub of beef/pork organs while the humans took the legs, wings and breast meat. He can gnaw enough beef rib, any lamb or pork bone to meet his needs but I have to throw a lot of bone away. He can eat most turkey, baby goat and rabbit bone though. I don't think fish really has extra bone so you can feed it as a bone source unless your dog will eat heads.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 6:32pm PST 
Recently, obi recommended the now brand of bone meal its a couple topics down on this page. I feed the premade Stella and chewys patties and do not have any runny poo issues. I wonder if u give him some premade raw which has bone mixed into his raw you make. That's just an idea. Hopefully someone who does pmr will post soon.
[notify]

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 6:54pm PST 
I don't have a set menu for him. I just put it all out on the counter and grab different parts to make his daily bags each month. But, what I get usually includes: boneless pork, roast, tripe, heart, chicken thighs, kidney, liver, lung. Every other day is bone (two chickem thighs) and two of the bine days comtain one thigh and organ. At first, I though the runny poo was just after organ days, but it's not. Several times a month he gets beef ribs or some other RMB.

I have considered trying turkey, but it isn't common to find anything but turkey necks, and thats not even that often, in my local grocery store. I could order online, but I prefer to buy the everyday stuff here and avoid costly shipping and just buy the "weirder" stuff online.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 8:04pm PST 
Max says you should get the turkey necks, he says they are the bomb. Alas he only gets half at a time and not often as a reasonably sized piece still has more than a couple days of bone for him.

Early on Max didn't do particularly well with the long bones in chicken. He did better with necks, backs and ribs. I didn't see actual bone in the poop but he would have some mucous and the stool wasn't uniform the way it can be. Seems your dog has been on raw plenty long enough to handle those somewhat harder to digest long bones but you could try switching to the easy stuff I guess. Or it could be there aren't enough chomps put into it if it is too small and easy to get down so switching to larger more awkward to eat quarters would help. Worth a try. Like you wrote in your first post. I am on top of things today!
[notify]
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 7:51pm PST 
I haven't gotten turkey necks in awhile, but would they be too much bone for a 57 lb dog? He gets 13-16oz of food per day... I don't insist that it's right on the dot each day.
[notify]
Brody

What's in it for- me?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 2:32pm PST 
A 57-pound dog should be good with the bones in pork ribs (buy full slabs, not individual ribs), lamb breast, and veal breast. Lamb and veal breast are more expensive than chicken or pork but usually a good deal cheaper than beef. I think they're considered undesirable parts of the animal.

My 27-pound Scottie can handle just about all the bones in pork, lamb, and goat.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 12:32am PST 
try fish heads. Fish bones are very digestible, and fish heads are sold as a soup stock item all the time.
[notify]