GO!

spreading raw around Raw + homecooked kinda?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 5:32pm PST 
I was brain storming how I'm going to feed Jake and my new potential puppy dog on Raw now that my new hound will have to eat twice a day. * this was recommended because of hte risk of bloating* At the moment i'm feeding jake once a day and he eats mostly chicken.

Could I make a rice, yogurt and red meat (beef or pork) type meal that's 40% rice to 50% meat to 10% veggies to feed in the mornings as a "breakfast" before feeding raw in the evening?

I'm trying to find an alternative to raw brand kibble and as it's almost $90 per 25lb bag.

Which i won't be able to afford for two dogs. So i was going to make the move back to just straight raw with the addition of home cooked. Can that be done? Or should I just feed one or the other?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 10:15pm PST 
I do something like that sometimes. It just depends on what I've got on-hand and how much money I don't. I prefer oats over rice since my dog likes them better, but rice will work fine too.

Right now the two bigger dogs are eating Diamond Naturals (ick, not my decision) with extra goodies like raw eggs, meats, leftover scraps, meaty bones, liver, etc. all mixed in at the same time. And they are doing great on it. Better than I thought they would, actually. I do the same with the Shiba but he gets a different kibble at the moment.

Anywho, do you have any canine nutrition books? I suggest getting some that focus on making your own dog food just to get an idea of what else you can do.
Here are a couple websites that I've used in the past:
Dog Aware
Dr. Strombeck's Home-Prepared Diets
Drs Foster and Smith

I've got more somewhere but I can't find them right now. Bleh.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 1:19pm PST 
Yes, that's fine.

Or, if you want it even simpler (and in my opinion healthier) than that, just put the dogs on a PMR diet and call it a day.
[notify]