GO!

Can I feed ground if it is cooked?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nyota

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:50pm PST 
I have 2 dogs on raw diet. If I cook ground meat can I feed that to them or would it be like switching back and forth to kibble? I don't switch back and forth to kibble because I have read that it is bad to do that since they are digested differently. Is that because of all the 'extra' stuff in kibble? Carbs?

I am just trying to find less expensive alternative to no bone meals. I can't believe the price for hearts and gizzards! I pay more (almost double) for that than I do for the chicken quarters!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:33pm PST 
I'm not sure why you need to cook ground meat? You can just give it raw to the dog.

Gizzards and hearts are more expensive because it does not have bone. In human consumption, bone is not edible therefore, it is not counted as "usable weight" and would be scrap. Therefore, things like chicken thighs, wings, backs, necks, are cheap because you can only eat 50% of what you're paying for the rest can only be used to make broth or thrown in the scrap heap.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:50pm PST 
Feed ground however you want. Raw, cooked, half-cooked, whatever floats your boat.
While raw and kibble/cooked/etc. do digest at slightly different rates, it is such a small difference that it really does not matter.
So feeding raw and kibble together, or flip-flopping, is just fine as long as your dog doesn't get digestive upsets from that sort of thing. Some dogs do, some dogs don't. My three can flip-flop or combine food types without any problems whatsoever. Try it out and see what happens.

Chicken hearts and gizzards have more nutrients in them than regular chicken meat, so I find them to be worth the extra cost every now and then. I'll feed one each per day if I've got them.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 6:20am PST 
On the switching back and forth between raw and kibble...

The reason we don't recommend mixing raw and kibble is because, yes, kibble sits in the stomach longer.

Raw meat has a high bacteria load that's why we, humans, can't eat it without getting sick. But healthy dogs can eat it and not get sick because of the acidic nature of the dog's digestive tract and it's simple short processing time. Raw meat is easily digested by dogs so it comes in the mouth, processed, and waste excreted in a relatively short time that makes it harder for bacteria to multiply and overrun the stomach.

Kibble has a low bacteria load but has a high carbs/sugar load and is not as easily digestable, therefore, the dog uses different enzyme levels to digest it and it sits in the digestive tract for a lot longer than raw meat.

Now, when your dog is still processing kibble in his stomach and you add raw meat to it, the bacteria load in the meat will have the opportunity to sit longer in your dog's stomach. At the same time, the carbs and sugar in the kibble is good nutrition for the bacteria. Therefore, you have a high likelihood of having the dog's immune system get overloaded.

Now, a lot of dogs can fight off that bacteria without problems. A lot of dogs get sick.

We raw feeders who are crazy about our dog's nutrition just doesn't have enough reason to incur the risk of mixing raw and kibble in the dog's stomach. If we have to feed kibble for some reason, we need to space out the feedings in such a way as to make sure all the kibble is processed before raw food is given, just like doing the transition from kibble to raw.

But cooked ground meat is not kibble. It does not have the carbs/sugars of kibble. I still don't understand why you feel the need to cook your ground meat when you're feeding raw...

Edited by author Tue Feb 26, '13 6:24am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:07am PST 
My pups LOVE ground meat made into meatballs and then frozen. A crunchy raw treat! Sometimes I dice up some organ and mix it in. Not a necessary task, but they do seem to love it as a special meal.

When I have to board them, I often fix them these meatballs as they love them so much they don't go off feed due to homesickness.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 11:32am PST 
I've fed cooked ground meat before. Saya has a good gut so she handles variety fine.

If your dog is sensitive you can introduce it to see how they do.

I mostly feed ground raw.

I sometimes give a bit of cooked ground before I add seasoning for myself.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 11:42am PST 
Sure, feed it cooked. Or raw. Doesn't really matter, but I'd go with raw given a choice.

Duke and my sister's dogs handle kibble and raw at the same time just fine. I use Orijen for training treats all the time. It's one of those "know your dog" things. Works for some, not for others. I wouldn't apply a blanket statement of "no dog ever tolerates kibble and raw at the same time." Not so. If it works for your dog, great. If not, don't do it. It's simple as that. smile
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:12pm PST 
Like Conker said, there's no reason to cook the ground meat. While ground meat isn't an ideal food item it is often inexpensive which can elevate it to almost ideal pretty quickly! Just make sure your edible bone content is coming from somewhere and make sure you're still feeding RMBs often enough for the "workout meals". (This would be true given any diet, even kibble!) That said, if you want to introduce a cooked element for whatever reason, go ahead and feed it in conjunction with whatever you want. As long as your 'big picture' diet is satisfactory you don't need to worry about the components of each meal so much.

There are many raw feeders who have gotten the idea that feeding cooked food and raw food together can and does lead to disastrous situations in most cases, which IMO has been grossly blown out of proportion given the cycle of information regurgitation on the internet. Some dogs do seem to have a problem with it, this is more of a sign of a dog who's system is compromised, not the practice itself. Obviously if it's problematic in the individual you'll need to make adjustments.

We humans can indeed eat raw and "undercooked" meat without becoming violently ill. I, personally, eat steak that's practically raw on the inside frequently, and I eat thick cut pork chops that are still juicy and verging on rare in the middle. I have eaten completely raw beef and game meat and am here to tell the tale, and have never gotten sick or infected anyone else. I have had food poisoning once, something I NEVER want to repeat. It was from commercially prepared and jarred spaghetti sauce! Many cultures world over eat raw meat both currently and historically. While the chances of getting sick from meat handled in large conventional facilities is higher due to contamination from stomach matter and unnatural bacterial loads coming from the raising/processing of animals 'finished' in CAFOs and slaughtered in ill-maintained facilities, it's still not a death sentence to eat it undercooked, despite what the USDA might tell you to cover their own butts from a liability standpoint.

Kibble actually has a HIGH bacterial load, and statistically the potential from getting sick from kibble is much higher than from raw meat, whether mixed with something or on its own. Kibble might have a low bacterial load coming right off the production line, but all the preservatives in the world aren't enough to mean it stays that way. (For that matter so does raw meat.)

I balk at the use of the term "we" when individuals are giving advice on feeding (raw or not, or a combo), as it really is an individual practice, which can be tailored in many ways. Each dog is an individual, as is each family. I, personally, have a very rigid idea of what an acceptable raw diet is, and would only feed my dogs a certain way. Incidentally my views are in-line with the more militant raw feeders that many of us have been exposed to in some high-profile online groups. This does not mean that I think that everyone absolutely has to feed this way or be branded with not caring about their dog's nutritional needs.

Dogs are adaptable creatures and I really truly believe that there are plenty of ways to deliver an more-than adequate diet that does not follow the model set forth in many models popular among a "my way or the highway" set of personalities present in our larger community raw feeders active online. The first and most important step is moving away from highly processed commercial foods, and including lots of "real food", cooked or raw. A lot of these 'truths' about not mixing cooked/raw and the like have scientific facts that can back them up, but these facts are picked and chosen for the effect of supporting an theory more than actual relevance.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 5:50pm PST 
Nyota you could try looking at ethinic markets. I usually pay only .99 a lb for chicken gizzards nad hearts. and my boy only needs trace amounts a day so usually 20 bucks in organs of different kinds lasts me quite a while from the ethnic market.

I feed Jake organs that have been cooked and then chopped into patte or he's not going to eat it at all. Sometimes i have to even add flour to make into cookies.

It's just a know your dog situation since I can't feed most store made ground meats since sadly the fat content is too high and gives jake acid reflux. shrug
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:35pm PST 
WOW Where are y'all living that gizzards & hearts are that expensive?! It's the cheapest of the meats I feed my dogs. I can get it bulk at a local butcher for $.89 a pound or for just over a $1 at Wally World. My dogs just love them!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2