GO!

Vet Things My Raw Diet is Giving Large Breed Pup Pano

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 8:32am PST 
Agreeing with Bam, unless your diet is TOTALLY skewed, I wouldn't be blaming it for pano.

If you need to point a finger, do it at the genetics, as that is the more likely culprit. Have you contacted your breeder about this issue and discussed is? Have they had similar cases to this at this age with their dogs?
[notify]
Roger Biduk

A- species-appropri- ate diet is the- best!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:13am PST 
I’ve never, ever heard of a good balanced raw meat diet giving pano.

Your vet and breeder saying “not to feed these dogs puppy chow or puppy kibble because it has too much protein” is ridiculous.
Dogs shouldn’t be fed this crap because of the ingredients (not the because of the protein) that are often dangerous at best and poisonous at worst.
Orijen is the only good puppy food I know of and it has nine meat/fish ingredients.

High protein is causing nothing but great health in your dog as long as it’s a balanced diet (75% raw meats, 25% organ meats). Veggies are the very least important).
Find a holistic vet and get rid of this one. Look at the pet foods he/she recommends and sells. If its Science Diet, Hill’s Prescription Diet. Purina Veterinarian Diets, Iams, etc. run away.
If you don’t have a holistic vet in your area phone one for a phone consult, they don’t have to see your dog.
Bon chance, Roger Biduk
[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 10:04am PST 
Okay, thanks for all the responses and insight.

To answer some questions in previous posts.. He is definitely not too big or overweight, we've been very careful with that because he is going to get shown. He's definitely on the leaner side and we've had lots of positive comments about his weight and size being perfect. His parents are not big boned either. They are actually on the leaner side for corsos.

We have been feeding more than 10% bone. We will try and cut that down and see it it helps.

Thanks!
[notify]

Bear

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 3:56pm PST 
Another quick question... It's worth mentioning, I forgot why we gave him extra bone... Not only did it make his stools softer without it, but now he's getting the awful anal glad smell.

I will not let the vets empty them, because the more you do it the more often the dog will need it. I did a lot of research on this and have watched videos from Dr. Karen Becker on why this practice is not wise to do.

Any tips on how I can feed less bone and yet not have stool/ anal gland issues?

Thanks
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 4:21pm PST 
I've only had jake's anal glands treated one time. And only once. it was when he came home from teh pound. A week after i had him he dragged himself all over my floor and it grossed me out so he went to the grooomer. The one and only time he's ever had them expressed that i've been made aware of. Now maybe they've been continually groomed. But i've never had a groomer tell me they've been emptied since that first time. And it's included in my grooming bill regardless if they do it or not.

I'd get those treated though.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2