GO!

feeding raw in winter

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:12pm PST 
in summer i use to just throw the meat out on the grass or deck. but now, snow, cold, wind ect.. he won't eat outside in the winter.
what do you guys do? one prob is i have two dogs that need to be fed separately cause i am afraid kyia will kill jobi if he comes near her food lol. and jobi tends to steal and run. i use a plastic table cloth for kyia but for jobi, he wont stay still on anything. he runs and hides under my bed with his food. prob survival mode case he came from an animal hoarder.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 6:40pm PST 
Crates? I don't have them out so that would be a nuisance.

Exercise pens work for me.

I have a tiled hallway I can block with a bit off a wire crate.

A tub might work for some.

Put a leash on and tie the dog up.
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 7:50pm PST 
I block off the kitchen with a baby gate, and then wet swiffer the floor when she's done.
[notify]

Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:54pm PST 
yes, the kitchen would be great.. all i have to do is get my own place lol..do you think eating on a wooden floor is ok if i wash it?
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 1:06am PST 
Crash eats outside all 4 Alaskan Seasons; Break-up, Construction, Rainy, Winter.
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:08am PST 
crash looks like an all weather dog lol. is he a hunting dog? i have a yorkie and shih tzu. aint gonna happen lol
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:07pm PST 
I agree those breeds wouldn't do well eating in the snow.

Saya eats outside no problem. I still mostly feed her inside easier for me that way unless it is a messy meal like fish.

Not sure what else to add to help..

Maybe leash one who wanders and hold it so dog has to eat in one spot and leash other so in case dog gets done no issue of other trying to eat each others food if done first..

I'm lucky I can feed Saya and Bella outside same time no issue, but not all dogs can and it is risky. I usually feed them at a good distance and once Saya is done eating I tell her to stay and she usually lays down or sits in the area she was.

Bella eats her raw meals slower so it takes her awhile to finish.

I know how it is my last dogs had issues with it.. Junior would eat so fast and would try to eat the two girls food. :
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:13pm PST 
Simplest thing would be to tether your dog while he is eating.

Hook the leash over a doorknob or hook, lay out the food on an old towel (or whatever) and have him eat there.
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:16pm PST 
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.alot to think about.. i will let you know which worked for me..smile
[notify]