GO!

Crawfish, frogs legs and catfish

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:26pm PST 
The 48 hour freezing for the black bear recommended above is extremely dangerous "advice."
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:43pm PST 
I wouldnt feed carnivores.. but thanks for the info on the other things. I fed the frogs legs and they were a hit.. nice to have osmething different.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 7:53pm PST 
Glad frog legs were eaten. Saya liked the ones I gotten her. I've eaten fried frog legs myself not bad.. I dip them in some bbq and tasted good.

I might offer tiny bit of cat fish next time I cook some for myself.
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:14pm PST 
I've had frog legs deep-friend with a Cajun sauce... So good. But for the price, not worth it as more than an occasional fun thing and certainly not worth feeding to the dogs. Alligator is good the same way, and in gumbo. I love unusual foods dancing

On the subject of freezing killing trich, I believe the consensus reached over time on Dogster is that it is possible. However, doing so is time consuming and basically requires an industrial grade meat freezer, which few people have access to (and those that do typically can not store their dog's dinner it for weeks on end). The necessary temperature and the stability of that temperature over time is just not gonna happen with a standard household freezer.

I personally wouldn't even play that game, though, since until recently trich was still an issue with farm-raised pork and butchers and restaurants are certainly storing meat in industrial grade freezers. Unless all cases of trich came from meat that hadn't been frozen long enough, the above doesn't add up.

It's one of those things that it's really safer to just not mess with it. It's not so important to a dog's diet that they get bear or wild boar, and if you do want to feed it occasionally it's not vital that it be raw.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 11:58pm PST 
It's my understanding that there are several strains of trichinosis, and that the strain present in wild game (typically bear, wild/feral hog) is resistant to freezing, so even if one did have a freezer that could hold a low enough temperature to kill trichinosis, there is no guarantee that it would work for the strain present in wild meat.

*The only way to guarantee that bear meat is safe to feed is to thoroughly cook it.*

Addie, bear is actually classified as an omnivore (and they eat mainly plants and insects), so I actually don't have a problem feeding cooked bear meat to the dog, or eating it myself for that matter.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2