GO!

Crawfish, frogs legs and catfish

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 11:38am PST 
For all you southerners ( or anyone else like me, in the north, who for some strange but nice reason can get such things) Have you ever or do you feed things like crawfish, frogs legs and catfish? I came accross some today at the local kroger for about $1 each package on clearance. I'm not too concerned about the frog and catfish, but how about the crawfish? Should I de-shell them? I figured not since addie eats bones etc as part of her raw. I did give her one out of curiosity and after playing with it ( awesome toy too LOL) she ate it and seemed fine.
Curious to see what others think smile

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '12 11:39am PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 11:59am PST 
I've fed frog legs once Saya liked it. I gave her a bit of cat fish she wasn't fond of it, but that was when she was still new to raw so maybe she'll like it more now.

I don't think catfish is as nutritious as mackerel or sardines, but a nice thing to give either way I'd think.

crawfish not sure.. I remember a monster inside me episode a man got a parasite by eating a raw crawfish before cooking them.. :

I love crawfish boils though best food ever!

I lived in Louisiana for 20years.

Saya came down with me once she did get one piece of raw crawfish, but I didn't know about that parasite.. I don't plan on ever giving it again..

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=13511566

Not sure if the parasite affects dogs, but I don't think I'd risk it.. Maybe cook it and feed as a treat?

dehydrated crawfish treats? I know the bravo food has lobster treats for dogs.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 9:14pm PST 
Thanks for the info!
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:54pm PST 
what a lucky pup!
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 5:53am PST 
One of Eduardo’s favorites is Black Bear, which he almost never gets. I have a friend who is an avid hunter and usually secures a black bear carcass once a year. He usually just gives me what 2 lbs of meat trimmings, but Eduardo goes nuts for it! As far as shellfish goes, feed the shell and everything. I give Eduardo crab legs when they are on sale and he eats the shell with the meat. A neighbor of mine actually shot a coyote near her home and promised me some of the meat! I look forward to Eduardo getting a taste of that!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:37am PST 
Do you cook the bear? I think the trichinosis they have can't be killed by freezing.. Might be wrong.

I would never feed predators though..
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 10:28am PST 
I have always heard that the shells of shellfish do not break down like bones. They peel away and can be quite sharp, even on animals like shrimp that don't have spiky shells. For that reason, I've only ever fed shellfish if it's out of the shell (specifically squid guts when I'm making calamari). Plus it's really not a species-appropriate food... Some here and there is fine, likely even if you do miss a bit of shell - I mean, who hasn't accidentally eaten a shrimp tail? But it's not something I go out of my way to feed.

Catfish is delicious and I would absolutely feed it to my dogs. Just be aware of any regional parasites or toxicity. Same with frog legs. These are animals that can easily get into some pretty nasty stuff, so I'd just want to be sure my sources were clean.

I would definitely cook any bear (or wild boar) meat I fed too. Feeding only 2# so infrequently is probably going to be ok just based on the odds, but trich isn't something I would play with.

I would not feed a dog coyote either. They're close enough to successfully reproduce, they're close enough for it to be cannibalism.

Edited by author Fri Dec 14, '12 10:32am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 2:01pm PST 
I would never feed another predator either, particularly coyote. That, as Ember says, is almost cannibalism. And then there's the trichonosis thing in bear meat. That is just dangerous.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 4:30pm PST 
Black bears (as well as wild/feral hogs) can have trichinosis, and the strain of trichinosis in wild game is freezing resistant, meaning that you *have* to cook it in order to kill the parasite.

Feeding bear raw is definitely not a gamble I would take (I have no problem feeding small amounts of cooked bear).

Feeding coyote is also a pretty big gamble....it doesn't make any sense to me.
[notify]
Alexander

Doodles Do It- Better

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:13am PST 
I have fed frog legs to my dogs on a couple of occasions. Crawfish are perfectly safe to feed. Give your pups the entire thing, shell and all. I would freeze it for about 24 hours, but not cook it. Dehydrating it is also an option. I’ve fed my dogs ground bear/elk and fed it raw, after freezing for 48 hours (dogs never got sick). But, feeding the shells of crawfish, shrimp, crabs, and lobster is perfectly safe.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2