GO!

War between BARF and Prey Model -- getting exhausting!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:30pm PST 
I stay out of the facebook groups now. I snapped a while back when a group started suggesting regular prey-model raw to dogs with chronic pancreatitis. When I tried to explain the problem with fat intake, I was given the whole "kibble is poison" spiel. No thanks!

This forum is full of people who are well-informed, friendly AND open-minded. We don't hate on commercial food, home-cooked or varying raw diets. We love the raw diet, but we have common sense and a desire to help pets stay healthy, in whatever way works for them.

Edit: And I guess I should say something more to the topic wink.

I fed full prey-model raw for 2 years, but I had become so exhausted from a new job and general anxiety that I couldn't balance their food correctly. It really showed, and their skin/coat was in rough condition. Before that downslope though, I loved feeding prey-model. It worked for us. Now we feed half Orijen and half raw, and it's working equally as well.

I have heard great testimony from both diets. Whatever works for people works, but they should try their best to balance the diet, else they could end up with lots of problems.

Edited by author Tue Nov 27, '12 6:35pm PST

[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 9:43pm PST 
Simply avoid forums with the anal people. I know a few and I became bored with their attitude towards others so I mostly just come here for raw information. This place is the most open minded forum so far and I hope it stays that way.

That Raw Feeding Facebook group drives me nuts.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:03am PST 
Thanks everyone for your comments. I definitely don't feel crazy now! And it was nice to hear others have similar experiences. Raw feeding, especially when your new, is about trial and error. So it's nice to see there is a better attitude at this forum. I've been researching raw feeding for so long but have probably been about a month. I'm constantly changing things up as I learn. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions from here on out. Thanks again!
[notify]

Hadley

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:17am PST 
I had to leave the Facebook group when they told people over and over an all-factory-farmed chicken diet with the occasional organ is better than any kibble; which simply isn't true IMO and dangerous to expect an animal to derive what they need from a chicken whose never even seen daylight. It's sad and they're just as bad as people who refuse to acknowledge the raw diet and it's benefits.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:28am PST 
Hadley, that was actually about what my dogs were eating for 3 months when I had become too busy. Their diet was mostly commercial chicken with some organ and occasional tripe. Their skin and coat suffered terribly from my laziness.
[notify]
Hadley

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 12:32pm PST 
Oh, really? Yeah, see someone like you could really help someone who might be having the same problem by suggesting what you've done to suit your needs better and your dogs, but instead, you'd be basically shunned!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 2:20pm PST 
Yea I'm still a member of these groups. It's probably time to leave. I had just recently asked a question in the Raw Chat FB group and am now being attacked.

I asked if anyone knew of a vet that supported or promoted raw diets. I'm compiling a list of vets, hopefully it will get large enough to list all the vets in the country that support that kind of diet. Not that people who feed this way need to go to that vet. But I know I feel more comfortable finding a vet who approves of how I feed so I don't have to worry my vet (who is against raw feeding) will blame every little thing on it. Just as doctors today educate very little on nutrition and diet (which is the cause of most ailments today) and is quick to prescribe quick fix it medications. I wanted to find a more hollistic vet who understands the importance of diet.

So long story short. I asked the question on the forum. Lots of people were into it and helped out, said it was a great idea. Then a few started attacking it. A poor girl who was new recommended Dr. Karen Becker (popular online from Dr. Mercola's pet website). Anyway she does not support PMR. And then people went a bit off. Some guy said her name is not welcome on the site. The poor girl defended herself but apologised then another lady said she should be shunned. I tried to do the right thing by moderating all the crazy people who starting being rude and attacking the other people who were trying to answer my question. I made it clear that if anyone could give me any news or rumour of any vet supporting any kind of raw diet, I'd appreciate it. I then said I would call all the vets myself and cross reference and have appropriate lists for which vets supported which diet.

Next thing you know I'm getting told I'm disrespectful by the moderator and a whole thing ensued. I'll probably get kicked out. But oh well, I needed to stick up for myself in there. I cannot understand how those groups are still allowed to exist, they are nasty. So I reposted my question here smile
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:13pm PST 
Shun them! They're different!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 5:58pm PST 
I'm a member of a few different FB raw groups...when joining groups, I do make sure to read the group description...there are several groups that I immediately knew would be a poor fit.

If anyone is interested in friendly raw groups, then I'd be happy to post them here.

I'm on three different ones, and members feed many different versions of raw (including partial raw). There will always be someone in a group that disagrees with how you feed, but at least on these groups, questions are encouraged, and snark is at a minimum.
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:13pm PST 
Im sick of it too, lol, I don't see it on this forum but on other forum there always seems to be a war raging.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 11:17pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4