GO!

Will my cat get all the necessary nutrients from these sources?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 7:02am PST 
My cat has a kidney tumor and is eating less of her canned food. I'm not sure if that's because she is getting worse or because she's bored now with what she has for food. She still will eat the heck out of boiled chicken and anything else that isn't her canned food! So, I'm going to try feeding her ground whole. I've read that cats aren't always interested in beef, since it isn't something they would naturally eat. If I give her duck, chicken, rabbit, goose, and turkey, will I need any other sources to meet all of her nutritional requirements?

Edited by author Fri Nov 30, '12 6:30pm PST

Approved by forums moderator
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 4:39pm PST 
can't answer on the nutrients stuff

but if you're ever making tacos or spaghetti or anything else that use ground beef, you should give her a little taste before you cook it. She might like it.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 7:34pm PST 
I would discuss it with your vet. I know that cats have very specific dietary needs or they have problems. Good Luck!
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 9:44pm PST 
It's really difficult to convert a cat with kidney issues to RAW because they might not be healthy enough to tolerate the change. frown I'm sorry.
It would be beneficial to speak about this in length with your vet and see about finding a holistic vet in your area that understands more about DIET and it's relation to health.

Best of luck to you.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 6:16am PST 
If she likes fresh foods, I would take something she likes and shred it, and mix it in with the canned food to give it a bit more appeal.

Agreeing that a sick cat probably isn't the best candidate to do a cold-turkey switch to raw.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 1:46pm PST 
You might try looking on Catster...
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 2:54pm PST 
I gotta disagree with some of the opinions on cats with kidney damage.

From our personal experience, cats with kidney damage generally have very low appetite, and since raw is enticing and full of moisture, I highly recommend it. We fed raw treats to our 20-year old cat when he was in kidney failure for well over a year, as an alternative to cat food when he wasn't feeling his best.

You don't need to worry about your cat getting the right nutrients now. The top priorities for cats in kidney failure is getting water and food into them. Give her anything she'll eat that is safe, and raw if possible for extra moisture.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 5:00pm PST 
I think some people post about cats here, because there's not nearly the same activity level on that site as there is here.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 9:05pm PST 
This isn't a cat forum.
[notify]
Egypt

Can I play with- the ratz?

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 9:11pm PST 
I agree with getting the cat to eat, and worrying about nutrition later. I put my cat on raw when I started dawg on raw. He loved raw food. My sister's elderly cat was losing weight and stopped eating kibble/canned. She finally started him on ground meats and he gained his weight back and then some.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2