GO!

mucous poo on raw diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 4:38pm PST 
I'm pretty new to the raw diet, but I've noticed my dog have been having mucous poo for a while now. It seems to be just the first part of the poo, but it's fairly mucous. Otherwise he seems pretty normal... maybe his poo is a bit looser than I'd like (but he's a very active puppy and hard to keep weight on and so gets more fat, in the form of marrow bones, than the average dog).

My first thought was hookworms, but I've wormed him and it didn't seem to help at all. I'd take him to the vet for it, but as he seems healthy overall (and I've recently moved and money is very tight) I'd rather not, and the vet will probably blame it on the raw diet anyway.

Is this at all normal on a raw diet? Has anyone else experienced it? Should I be concerned?
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 6:07pm PST 
Duke used to get loose, mucousy, inconsistent stools, too. Then I upped his bone intake, and voile, no more mucous or looseness! And here I thought the problem was irritation from too much bone. shrug Turned out to be just the opposite.

You could try a quality, daily probiotic. A good one is Nutrigest.

Fatty marrow will cause nasty poop issues, too. Maybe increase calories with a bit of extra meat instead of so much extra fat?

Edited by author Mon Nov 12, '12 6:09pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 7:13pm PST 
The exact same thing happened with Max early on.

I thought the mucous was due to too much bone but when I fed MORE bone no more mucous. The gut gets irritated by not enough bulk as much as by scratchy stuff. In Max's case scratchy excessive bone doesn't cause mucous but not enough bone or too much fat will.

Max didn't do well with the long chicken bones either. He did better with backs and ribs for quite a while. Perhaps he crunched them up better so his gut could do a better job digesting them.
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 3:56pm PST 
I second feeding more bone.

Cookie went through a whole slew of nasty poops when we first started. but now she is regular.

one thing that still causes mucous poo is raw eggs though... so I don't give her those.

Also second feeding less marrow. that stuff is rich and fatty.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 4:20pm PST 
Max is our guru of raw feeding hail When Tia was having issues though, more bone didn't help. Our vet think she had a bit of food poisoning. If the increased bone doesn't help your pup, try the probiotic as suggested, or premadopholis (don't know how to spell it) & some slippery elm (about a 1/3 of the human dose). The slippery elm WILL cause.gas that will clear a building!! Give CarboVeg for.the gas. It took a few days of the slippery elm for Tia's poo to start looking normal & wasn't until she'd been on premadophilous for a few weeks that I could take her off the slippery elm.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 6:10am PST 
Sorry I'm new to raw and have no idea what mucous poop is or looks like. Can someone help me out?
[notify]
Leo

Troublemaker.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:05am PST 
Thanks for all the tips, guys! What kind of meat do you suggest with a good bone to flesh ratio? My guy is around 25lbs, so nothing too huge, although he does a great job at properly crunching his bones before swallowing them, and isn't a "gulper".

And to answer what "moucus poo" looks like, in the case of my dog, it looks pretty much like normal poo, but the first third or so of it has a think layer of light-brownishy mucus (like... thick snot... ick!). The rest of it may or may not also have some mucus on it.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 9:43pm PST 
Mucus on or accompanying a poop is simply natural intestinal mucus being passed along with waste, and is not necessarily an alarming event. It shouldn't be confused with the consistency of the poop -- runny or softly formed. That's a bit different. The innermost lining of the intestinal tract is the mucosa, which, among other functions, produces mucus as a natural part of digestion and elimination. When it's in volumes enough to be separate and distinguishable as part of a bowel movement it's a sign that something could be wrong, but I have to say I think a lot of times normal amounts of passed mucus are taken as a sign of the diet needing a tweak when really it's just a sign that the body's doing it's job properly.

A good raw diet is not homogenous, and poop shouldn't be, either. The intestines of a dog are set up to facilitate the consumption and elimination of bone and other really fibrous matter. One of these functions is intestinal mucus. When people get concerned about a dog's ability to pass relatively large chunks of bone, they're likely not taking into account that the structure and physiology of a dog's system is really designed to do just that. Intestinal mucus helps lubricate and protect, and it does that all the way through.

Signs that something is amiss are bloody or abnormally colored mucus, copious amounts of it, passing just mucus, and/or strong abnormally smelling mucous eliminations. If these things are present, and especially in conjunction with other signs of illness, a diet change and/or vet visit is a must.

As raw feeders we tend to get a little poop obsessed. It's a good thing, overall, I think. One of the things I love about a raw diet is the connection we gain with our dogs thru being aware of what goes in and what comes out, BUT unhealthy fixation is also a hazard. When trying to gauge poop consistency and its relation to health and proper diet, I find that a help is to not only monitor how it comes out, when it comes out (straining? constipation? soft? irritating?) but also in an exercise of not being over-analytical, how the actual consistency is as gauged a bit later. Sure, picking up poop immediately is a great way to keep the yard clean, and, of course absolutely a given if using parks or on walks, but if your dog poops in an area like your yard where you can note it and come back later, you'll notice that, say, an organ poop that looks just loose and vile immediately still dries up into that easy-to-pick-up, relatively compact form that you associate more with bone-and-muscle poos. Not so scary or weird then!

At the end of the day, I guess what I'm trying to say, is: Take a step back, and keep in mind the dynamics of a raw diet and the resulting dynamic nature of the resulting poos. Know your dog.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:02am PST 
It is normal and healthy for the dog's digestive tract to respond to whatever it cannot quite handle by secreting extra mucous but it is a call that there is a bit of a tweak needed. When Max started raw he had that bit of mucous several days in a row, it didn't change until I fed more bone. No point in continuing to stress out the GIT by repeating that precise meal again at least for a while. Max didn't do well with chicken leg bones at first but after a while on raw he could even handle turkey leg bones just fine.

Max seems to have 2 types of soft poops. One dries up like a dead leaf and the other doesn't. The dry leaf poop is from a small meat meal and the other is likely from too much fat.
[notify]