GO!

7 week old shih tzu started her 1st day raw today

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 6:41pm PST 
hi guys! i'm so excited cuz i just picked up my baby Tzu yesterday. the breeder is wonderful and super nice. but she gave me a bag of the puppy food she was on and told me not to switch her till she was about 5 - 6 months old....but i remember reading on here that the sooner the better. soooo.....at 1st i was worried she wouldn't like it. but once she got a taste for it, she LOVED it!! i had fed her the puppy food only once (on the day i picked her up) and she ate it, but not all of it, and not with much gusto. but today she had 3 meals of chicken and she LOVED it! i am so happy!! i only worry about how to give her bones. after much research i learned that she needs 2 chicken necks a week and that should cover the 10% bone. does that sound right? and when that time comes, HOW in the world do i give it to her? i was thinking of hammering the crap out of it with a meat hammer.....or sticking it in the blender. i really doubt she can chew bones right now. her bite is SO tiny and weak. also, how long will it take for all the kibble to work out of her system?
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:45pm PST 
Wonderful!

You'd be surprised at how strong little jaws are. Offer her the neck, see if she can work on it before you go about bashing it. If she does need help, hitting it with a mallet, as opposed to grinding or liquefying it is the best, in my opinion.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 1:02pm PST 
thanks so much! i will try that! smile
[notify]

Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 2:03pm PST 
You can also try cornish hens. Their smaller bones are just right for puppies and toy breeds. If you get a one pound hen, you can whack it up into about 8 chunks of meat and bone and there you have your bone in meals, 2 ounces each. smile

If you can't find cornish hens, you can try chicken backs/ribs/sternum. Those bones are easier and softer than necks and wings. Chicken wing tips are easy for even the weakest puppies.

If you feel like it, you can eventually branch out into whole prey (mice, small rats) from the snake feeding section of the pet stores in the freezer. Then you have a whole meal of meat/bone/organ and a complex meal to chew as well. You can also do quail and rabbits as she grows.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 6:35pm PST 
thanks brody! good advice! i love this forum, everyone is so helpful and i have learned so much!
[notify]