GO!

Training Treats

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 7:53pm PST 
Hello,

I have been using commercial training treats. However, Cougar has a VERY sensitive tummy and the several types I've tried always cause awful poops.

What do you all use for training treats? I've read about freeze dried liver. Will this cause loose poop like regular liver? I assume so in large quanties.

Thanks for the training treat suggestions!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:53pm PST 
Definitely. There was a pup here a while back whose human forgot dehydrated liver is still liver and that treats count as part of the diet and once that was figured out the pup's nasty poop cleared up.

You could use that and count it as the organ for the day. I made liver jerky a while back and I think .6 ounces of jerky was 1 ounce of raw. Anyway, I weighed before and after drying so I knew, been a couple years.

Or you could play it safer and have more treats by cooking some of the day's meat and using that. I was lucky, Max only had class one day a week so he only got cooked boneless meat that day. Chicken breast and lean pork is terrific, hamburger is messy cooked.

Or you could simply count the treats as part of the diet and cut back the actual meal size a bit.
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 3:07pm PST 
I use cooked (boiled) liver and kidney, I count it as part of the offal requirement, but it doesn't seem to have as intense a loosening effect as raw offal. It is also very clean, and freezes well once cooked and chopped so you can make big batches and freeze in portions
[notify]

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 9:54pm PST 
How do you cook the liver and kidney? Does cooking change the nutritional value? I was probably going to boil, cut up and freeze chicken breast. Doubt I'll try to actually freeze dry them, but we'll see. I love convenience, though. I looked up some treats last night and came across PureBites freeze dried. Claims to be "only one ingredient" and that's chicken breast. Anyone tried these?
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 1:51pm PST 
I take about 200g chunks of beef liver, or single pork kindeys, and throw them into a pot of boiling water, and keep it at a rapid boil for 30-35 minutes. It goes quite rubbery after this, so great for non-messy treats. I chop it once cold, and then use as required or freeze.
Yes the nutritional value does change due to cooking (hence having less of a loosening effect) but whatever nutritional website you use should be able to give you numbers for both raw and cooked.
That sounds like a good plan for chicken breast, I have a friend who does that and she swears by it as a high value treat.
I've never tried any sort of freeze drying or freeze dried treats (Winston has eaten freeze dried K9 Natural, which is a bit different) so I'll leave someone else to help you with that.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 10:17am PST 
I like PureBites, but that can be spendy compared to making your own treats at home, especially if you do a lot of training!

I make "meatballs" for my dogs (a novel ground meat, some oat four, an egg, and some spices rolled into little balls and boiled). I then freeze them on a cookie sheet in my upright and they start to dry out a bit. The dogs love them! I also use really small pieces of cheese coated in oat flour and then placed on a cookie sheet and into the freezer for a couple of days/week.

I do boil up chicken hearts (or pieces of venison heart or livers) and stuff them in the freezer to dry out as well...these are a big hit, but I only do it during days where I can open windows (the smell causes my stomach to turn).

I also buy the venison Z-Fillets by Zukes as well as the Little Stars by Wet Noses as they are handy for when I need treats and don't feel like making my own. My back up treat for when I forget to grab something is string cheese. I can make a whole thing of cheese last the hour and usually can find them at most gas stations/grocery stores (sold individually).
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 12:24pm PST 
I get Zuke's Mini Naturals - my dogs go nuts for it and I've never had any issues with it, but I also feed of their meal depending on how many treats I'm going through. With Ria, I can use her dog food and she's just as happy to do anything for that too.

I also use chunks of cheese(string cheese being the best!), chunks of hot dog, boiled/diced chicken, and sometimes use other meats that are cooked(NO SPICES or anything added) and diced up.
[notify]