GO!

We're expecting! Now what?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Winnie- Please

Is it dinner- time, please?- -Winnie

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 7:32am PST 
Hello everyone!

We just found out that Winnie and Millie are expecting a new little brother or sister without fur, paws, and God-willing, a tail. Millie LOVES babies, and Winnie doesn't mind them if they are gentle, so I know life will be pretty happy around here-- except for one thing. We are avid believers in the raw diet. Is it safe for us to feed the pups raw while I'm preggers? If not, what are some good alternatives? Winnie and Millie are 6 and 7 years and have been fed raw close to their entire lives.
[notify]
Sally- (dead)

My goal: EAT- HUMAN FOOD

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:00pm PST 
confused Well, I guess
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:10pm PST 
I guess it's OK as long as you wash your hands after and clean up very well. I only know that you the human are not supposed to eat raw while pregnant.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 2:19pm PST 
I fed raw through two pregnancies. Wash your hands after handling raw meat (which I'm hoping you do when you're not pregnant) -- think about it...are people not supposed to prepare and cook their own meals when they're pregnant? Of course not -- so they're already handling raw meat throughout pregnancy. Practice good hygiene, and perhaps wear a set of rubber gloves when handling red meat because of toxoplasmosis (I had a dedicated pair of meat gloves during pregnancy). I hope this helps.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 3:20pm PST 
Shouldn't be an issue if you wash your hands, cutting board, knives or whatever you use on the meat.. If worried can use gloves..
[notify]
Winnie- Please

Is it dinner- time, please?- -Winnie

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 3:51pm PST 
Thanks for the replies!

The germs in the kitchen aren't really my concern. It's more of what gets on the pups that worries me. We clean up REALLY well when handling dinner for the furbabies, but I know their meals touch areas on their snouts, and Millie likes to pull her dinner out of her bowl, and then steps on contaminated surfaces before I can get to the bowl to wipe them up. I'm afraid that e-coli and salmonella might end op in some strange places...clearly, my husband and I have never had a problem, but there is SO much that expecting mothers cannot be exposed to... Is there validity here, or am I just paranoid?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 5:53pm PST 
I would ask your doctor. He / she should be able to give you the best advice. Good Luck!
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 6:14pm PST 
Well if you are fine with your handling of meat, and it's just the dogs that worry you. Start making sure they keep their food where it's supposed to be. Clean eating areas well and maybe you can buy some antibacterial wipes to wipe your dogs' faces (and paws if necessary) when they are done? or just use a rag with soap and water. Whatever floats your boat.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 8:28am PST 
Cookie's idea is good, get a pack of antibacterial or baby wipies to keep handy near wherever they eat, and you can wipe off their snoot (or paws, if applicable -- mine won't touch food with their feet) after a meal. I personally tend to just keep the dogs separated from us for like a half hour after they eat, while they take some time to lick their chops and whatnot.
[notify]